unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,891 through 1,905 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp pal wanted #163394
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Magi and everyone,
    I’d like to chat and hear about your harp playing experiences. I started playing lever harp 6 months ago. I took lessons and rented a harp, until deciding on buying a 34 string, full levered Raveena. I love playing, and have been learning music by O’Carolan, (Sylvia Woods excellent arrangements), Scottish tunes- my current favorite The Lea-Rig, and Pachelbel’s Canon. I love music of all kinds and lately I’ve been listening a lot to Aryeh Frankfurter’s CD Harper’s Brew. Incredibly beautiful music. I’m waiting for the book to arrive in the mail so I can start learning some of those songs.
    I live on Vancouver Island.

    in reply to: The most idiotic comments at gigs #145773
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I like your attitude, Josiah, very true regarding our emotional connection to our instruments.

    in reply to: Harp pal wanted #163393
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Mel,

    I’m willing to try this!

    in reply to: Salvi vs. Lyon and Healy? #111402
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Delays often happen with harps, but the dealers “not being very nice” is just…not nice. If you are uncomfortable with them, there are other dealers around if you decide you want to stick to L&H. Or buy direct from them. There are a couple of gurls there that are really lovely to deal with.

    There are differences between Salvi and Lyon and Healy, but which you like is very much your taste. What I will say about the differences are all very much generalisations – and from a players perspective – mine!

    Salvi tend to have a warmer and more focused sound, and a good one has a typically bell like purity in the upper register.

    in reply to: Help! #166832
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I agree with Briggs, that you are definitely not to old to learn. I got a new pupil recently and she was in her 80’s, had never played and instrument before, and just loves it.

    I’d start with having a few

    in reply to: Save the antique harp on eBay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #163414
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Yes, it is the other one – the Erard – as to the

    in reply to: Save the antique harp on eBay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #163411
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I had a look at the old lady – I am wondering about the pedal slots – if you look closely, it appears in the picture that the B, C, and F slots have a blocks of wood in the sharp position – I know these old dearies are murder to regulate and keep in regulation, and maybe this one was set up more along the lines of a single action – I’m curious to know what the slots look like on the other pedals – anyone have any ideas?

    in reply to: Ring finger problem #163429
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, I haven’t yet worked a blister on top of my fingers but when passing I feel like my fingers are flailing about looking for that next string.

    in reply to: Save the antique harp on eBay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #163409
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hi Fairy Fey,

    You are a crack up! I too am somewhat addicted to looking at sadly neglected, but essentially gorgeous, old harps on ebay…

    I wonder if the sellers would allow you to go and see these harps in person..as the problem is that these old darlings are often so badly neglected and in need of really very expensive structural work…and you could end up quite easily paying more than for a new harp….

    But they are lovely and it is so sad to see them in their decayed splendour sitting out waiting for a new home….

    Thanks for alerting us to the piccie, always good to look at different models and gorgeous old “thangs”….

    Cheers,

    Wurly

    in reply to: Ring finger problem #163427
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Thanks for the very clear and useful advice

    in reply to: The most idiotic comments at gigs #145749
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I’ve got a real ‘laugher’ for you. I’m sitting at the harp, possibly turning pages, arranging music, etc. and folks will come by and ask “do you play that?”

    I have to almost smile kindly to avoid laughing so corruptly at their question.

    Another ‘laugher’ is I get from folks while at the harp and they have opportunity to interrupt: “Do you own that harp”?

    while I do find it rude to blow people off, it’s sometimes necessary to continue playing a gig. Sometimes I tell folks “I’m being paid to play the harp and cannot socialize at this moment. You can talk to me during my break in xx minutes”. and I have that well rehearsed and can almost say it off rhythm. That usually sends them away – of course, you always have that ‘special’ one to deal with. urffffffffffff!!!

    Doc

    in reply to: Harp pal wanted #163388
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Omg Leigh, you are so right! I’m sure that person already had a Nancy Rae Pratt harp. Which could be the used one that is for sale at the Virginia Harp Center here in New Jersey! HAHA :-)

    in reply to: Should I purchase a Double Strung Harp or a Cross Strung? #163443
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Indeed it was a chromatic harp 😛

    in reply to: The most idiotic comments at gigs #145747
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I agree totally Fairy.

    in reply to: Should I purchase a Double Strung Harp or a Cross Strung? #163441
    unknown-user
    Participant

    :-) I must say. Most double and cross strung harps have warranty issues. The stress on the soundboard alone is enough to break any camals back! I’m not sure I’d make that choice. Especially with the constant changing temperatures my harp already endures!

    The idea is nice…. no levers. Cross strung is so very much like a piano. ( I’d stick to the Salvi Ana or L&H Prelude. Big sound and a concert touch :-) )

    Goodluck with your search! ( Check out Blevins harps. They have cross and double strung harps!)

    -Christopher-

Viewing 15 posts - 1,891 through 1,905 (of 5,570 total)