column

The most idiotic comments at gigs

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists The most idiotic comments at gigs

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Thanks for all your comments, it was greatly amusing, and I also always get the same ones, except “Stairway to Heaven”, I’ve never heard of that one.

janet-king
    Participant

“people have actually touched and played my harp while I’m playing or standing nearby….Most of the time I inwardly cringe but don’t say anything,”

OK, this is what I was talking about in my previous rant (“Listen up, people”).

janet-king
    Participant

Regarding the price question, I always answer it.

martin-solomon
    Participant

How about when people try to talk to you while you are playing at a gig, as if you should easily be able to have a chat and carry on playing simultaneously.

Or even worse (and I swear that this has happened to me on several occasions) when people come up to you during a gig and want to have a chat to you WHILE you are singing!

Martin Solomon
    Bristol, UK
    martin@martinsolomon.com

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

I tried to post a reply to Janet, suddenly, something went wrong – I don’t know if this is going to be duplicated….. When they swoon when I tell them the price, I mention calmly, that it sounds so much, yet, you can look at all the cars parked outside, and the harp costs much less than any of the cars…..Probably costs half of what your car costs. That shuts them up.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Hi Martin
    Yes, I’ve had the people talking to me while playing, but I think your experience while singing at a gig takes the cake.

unknown-user
    Participant

OK – this wasn’t

barbara-low
    Participant

Yeah, Janet. You’re right. Where are my balls when I need ’em?! Who needs job security anyway – it’s an illusion.

Seriously, we’re talking about boundaries. If someone touches my harp with no ill intent, then I allow that trespassing so that I don’t offend my client’s guest. (Wealthy people can be soooo touchy regarding us servant/artist types.) I do have a voice; I will and have gone after people for being butt heads with my instrument. But generally, I cut people a lot of slack cuz they need it.

Fairy Reel
    Participant

See, that doesn’t even bother me. My family is quite accostomed to asking me questions (Did you eat lunch? Where’s the cat? How do you feel about painting the living room green?) so as long as I speak in rythm (which is most challenging for me in 3/4 time, actually) I’m good.

And actually, I usually let people touch my harp. Not always.

unknown-user
    Participant

I agree totally Fairy.

elinor-niemisto
    Participant

I usually say, “No one has asked me to play piccolo at their wedding.”

Also,

unknown-user
    Participant

I’ve got a real ‘laugher’ for you. I’m sitting at the harp, possibly turning pages, arranging music, etc. and folks will come by and ask “do you play that?”

I have to almost smile kindly to avoid laughing so corruptly at their question.

Another ‘laugher’ is I get from folks while at the harp and they have opportunity to interrupt: “Do you own that harp”?

while I do find it rude to blow people off, it’s sometimes necessary to continue playing a gig. Sometimes I tell folks “I’m being paid to play the harp and cannot socialize at this moment. You can talk to me during my break in xx minutes”. and I have that well rehearsed and can almost say it off rhythm. That usually sends them away – of course, you always have that ‘special’ one to deal with. urffffffffffff!!!

Doc

janet-king
    Participant

Oh but Doc, I want a break when I’m on break!!!

janet-king
    Participant

“The most idiotic comment I overheard was a woman telling her kids that
    when the harp player got more advanced she wouldn’t need the colored
    strings anymore.”

I vote that one for most idiotic!!

mark-andersen
    Participant

Well I’ve gotten the one about string color as well. I’ve had people come up to me and ask how long I’ll have to be playing before I can get rid of the colored strings.

One of the strangest idiotic requests I’ve had came from a bride who, just before the ceremony, asked me to quickly show her how to play “something” on the harp so that she could step over and play it during the ceremony. I was shocked but I did ask her if she had ever played harp or even piano before. Her reply was “no but it looks really easy.” I didn’t know whether to be insulted or complimented??? I just latched down the B and E pedals to create an F major glissando and told her to have at it! (It wasn’t my harp – one the bride’s family had borrowed)

Mark

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 95 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.