harpcolumn

Should I purchase a Double Strung Harp or a Cross Strung?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Should I purchase a Double Strung Harp or a Cross Strung?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I am caught in a interesting dilemma.

I currently own a grape sharpsicle, and am looking forward to upgrading to a harp that gives more chromatic freedom. I was originally going to buy a argent fox cross strung harp… however, I learned that

Fairy Reel
    Participant

The term ‘chromatic’ has been cropping up all week (in my life!) and I still don’t know what it means.

Notwithstanding, if you’re looking for a harp to give you more freedom (Sharpsicle’s do seem to be rather limiting) try upgrading to a Salvi Ana or a Lyon&Healy Prelude. Big and they have levers. Or try a small pedal. That gives you the freedom of all keys with the small movement of your feet. Personally, I think a double strung or cross strung harp sounds confusing and slightly painful! Do you have any other reasons for choosing such an different–and

unknown-user
    Participant

:-) I must say. Most double and cross strung harps have warranty issues. The stress on the soundboard alone is enough to break any camals back! I’m not sure I’d make that choice. Especially with the constant changing temperatures my harp already endures!

The idea is nice…. no levers. Cross strung is so very much like a piano. ( I’d stick to the Salvi Ana or L&H Prelude. Big sound and a concert touch :-) )

Goodluck with your search! ( Check out Blevins harps. They have cross and double strung harps!)

-Christopher-

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I hope all of us novices are bearing in mind with our advice that the question was about a chromatic harp, ie., one that is not relying on levers or pedals to produce a chromatic scale.

I have zero experience with a cross harp, but I do have

unknown-user
    Participant

Indeed it was a chromatic harp 😛

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.