Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Ponchielli Dance of the Hours #61985
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Thank you. I guess I didn’t see all of it. I didn’t know it had been Disneyfied.

    in reply to: Seating situation during symphony performance #62732
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I wonder what orchestra it was. Did they say?
    I once saw an orchestra where the harpists sat on chairs with their harp covers bundled up under them!
    Around here, if the harpist doesn’t play in the next piece, she leaves the stage and then comes back for her next piece.
    Sitting up straight is just part of the job. The violinists don’t lean against their chairs, and they play most of the time thru all pieces.

    in reply to: Dance Macabre #61974
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’m looking at it (just played it recently), and I guess you mean the gorilla section at E. I call it that because the composer thinks our arms are so long our hands hang down to our knees. I DID play the octaves. I just kind of scoonched down so I could reach it…the whole section is low, so you don’t have to go anywhere else at the time. It’s hard to get any volume down there (like the conductor wants)…because it’s both hard to reach and fast. I always practice with a recording.

    in reply to: A Beautiful Reality Check #113143
    Sylvia
    Participant

    You made ME cry. Weddings are a business, but harping IS a performing art, and art speaks to people in ways nothing else can.

    in reply to: Artist dies of exposure #113129
    Sylvia
    Participant

    That was wonderful. I think our situation is worse, tho, because people want us to play for free AND HAUL A HARP to do it!

    in reply to: Mid sized harpmobiles? #77611
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I put a tarp around my foam mattress …sides sewn together…rather than taping it. I still have to lift the bottom to slide it in. Taking it back out, it’s a matter of hernias (joke) standing it back up again. I know the harp is far enough out to stand up if I can stand in unloading position and put my right foot on the bumper.

    I let it stand while I put the dolly in place, and I never strap it on. I think it’s whatever each of us feels comfortable with that works for us. It might still fall over strapped on the dolly if the street slopes and you don’t notice it in the dark….just as a for instance. Harp moving is treacherous.

    I wondered about the column loading because I don’t see how more than one harp could be loaded flat….and others seemed to be talking about flat loading, which is quite different.

    in reply to: Protecting your hands #113117
    Sylvia
    Participant

    It’s been on here before, but I try to never shake hands….especially with men because they seem to want to show how strong they are by crushing my fingers together.
    Take whatever precautions you feel are necessary to protect your hands. I always wanted to play volleyball, but…..not even with gloves. I think it would be hard to hold a racket wearing gloves.

    in reply to: free websites #112932
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Weebly does keep emailing me. Yola never does. I think Yola is a lot easier to use. I had tried Weebly once before and given up. After experiencing Yola, I was able to put stuff on Weebly. I don’t buy things online, so I keep the long website name. http://www.WeddingHarpMusic.yolasite.com Even the name is long because I wanted it indicate what the site was about. I agree about the functional. Mine isn’t fancy…but all the info a bride would look for is there.
    I don’t know how much stuff you can get onto Yola, and I kept it all on one page, but I added the Weebly site so I wouldn’t have to worry about it.

    in reply to: Making a contract per gig #62728
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Can’t help with that because I don’t use a contract, but you will probably need a website with info and music samples on it. I don’t see one on your profile.

    in reply to: Mid sized harpmobiles? #77608
    Sylvia
    Participant

    So you are all column loading?

    in reply to: Mid sized harpmobiles? #77605
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’m wondering if you people load flat or on the column…sounds like on the column. I’ve never done that. I have a 95 Honda Accord wagon, and hope it lasts. I’ve always loaded flat….even when I had a Dodge van. Please explain how you load on the column without the harp tipping? I don’t think my wagon would be high enough to even get the harp (LH15) in that way.

    in reply to: free websites #112930
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Paul and Brenda,
    It looks like you opened the music pages as a document, not a file, but I don’t see that option on Yola. I pasted my prelude rep in there as text.

    Weebly has a document option, and I used that for the reception rep. It opens just like your music files do. (i’ve got pics and rep on, and I will be putting more music on here and making a link from Yolasite.)

    http://www.WeddingHarpMusic.weebly.com

    So I’m still wondering how you got the music to open as a document on Yolasite.

    in reply to: free websites #112929
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I mean the music pages. That’s really cool.

    in reply to: free websites #112927
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I looked at your site. I love the way the music pages open up. Whatever widget that is, I haven’t learned it yet!

    in reply to: free websites #112926
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Now I hope you can put your music on OK. Took me a while to figure it out.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 824 total)