Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: offtopic happy news #113214
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Absolutely play your harp. It keeps your soul healthy. Your hubby got a really bad kind. What a wonderful outcome that he got a transplant! All I had was breast cancer…that’s the easy kind…they just lop it off and put on a new one.

    in reply to: Nutcracker, Act 1, Scene 8 #62028
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Do you have a recording of it? I think it’s the snowflake thing. (been too long since I played it) Is this it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdS4snu2SRQ

    in reply to: Beautiful harpists #113177
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Natalie, you must not have looked at my profile. Any resemblance to your thread is caused by your rose-colored glasses. I don’t look really bad for my age because I had facial plastic surgery after I had BC with reconstruction in ’01.
    Maybe the younger harpists fit your description. Enjoy it!

    in reply to: Ceremony of Carols. Does it annoy anyone else……..? #61992
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I wonder why they don’t just mic the harp.
    I haven’t done the CofC, but when I play with a church choir, I always have a mic.

    in reply to: Ponchielli Dance of the Hours #61987
    Sylvia
    Participant

    But how is the stand alone different from the opera score? Does it leave out sections or what?

    in reply to: Comment on my playing #62739
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I forgot about the emotions part of your question.
    The emotion I felt was jealousy. I didn’t start playing until I was in college. You are so fortunate that you are already playing and already so proficient!

    in reply to: Contracts for church gigs? #62685
    Sylvia
    Participant

    The poor tiger must be scared with all the people and noise around him. I wonder if the SPCA should be notified.

    in reply to: What exactly does this mean? #77681
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Nice piece. It’s very pretty. I would take the section where the right hand has a lot of notes going fast and practice it slowly, firmly, and loudly, with the hand leaving the string as far away as possible after playing, in order to make it cleaner. I would also practice it with long short longs and short long shorts.

    in reply to: Dear John Rutter #61997
    Sylvia
    Participant

    The British stuff is hard to get, but I always get new parts and put in my own markings. I hate to see parts already marked, regardless of who marks them, and the ones marked by composers are invariably marked wrong because they don’t know what they are doing. I don’t know what makes them think they should mark harp parts…I mean, would they write in bowings on string parts??

    in reply to: Playing from memory vs sheet music #60444
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Scott,
    I’m not sure what you are asking. What type of playing do you do? What is your goal in playing?

    Using music in orchestra, band, opera, etc. is one thing, but using music to play a wedding gig would be something quite else. I use it in the group things like orchestra, but not for wedding or reception repertoire…I play only from memory there. So, for me, it just depends on what kind of playing I’m doing.

    Everyone is in a different situation and is doing different things. I see the people on this thread are interested in sight reading, but not everyone needs to sight read. Even in orchestra, I get my parts way ahead of time to prepare…either by buying them or printing them off IMSLP.

    in reply to: yola site and documents #113157
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I just looked up the word Yola. It can be an abbr. form of Yolanda…violet flower…or
    in slang it means cocaine! So I guess my website has a really exotic name! (:
    http://www.WeddingHarpMusic.yolasite.com

    in reply to: yola site and documents #113155
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Those are pretty much the instructions they gave me when they answered.
    I actually have the reception rep on the Weebly anyway, now that I scanned it.
    I wish Yola would incorporate that in their widgets.

    Why don’t you put your site on your profile?

    I started off feeling like I couldn’t set up a site, which I couldn’t when I first tried Weebly. You saved me with Yola.com because Yola is easy to navigate, and I really needed a web site. I mean EVERYONE has one…and I’m just now getting one…shows how far behind I am.

    in reply to: Contracts for church gigs? #62674
    Sylvia
    Participant

    David knows his own situation better than anyone, but I would consider it a L&L (live and learn) experience.

    I’m surprised it seems there was no invoice involved. I don’t use a contract, but organizations require paperwork like an invoice, which I give them.

    If I were in this situation, I would call it a L&L, email them that there seems to be a miscommunication, and suggest they contact another harpist (and give them a list). (They might have to use several different harpists, and they’d see that you are the best!)

    That way, I would be at peace, and they wouldn’t think I was gritchy and hard to work with….and they’d think that I was prosperous enough that I really didn’t need their dirty old money.

    in reply to: Will harps stay tuned in cold and windy weather? #77666
    Sylvia
    Participant

    70 is a bit nippy…if you’re used to warmer weather. It isn’t the wind… it’s the humidity that will affect your strings. If you’re using sheet music outdoors in the wind, you need to anchor it so it won’t blow around….better to play all memorized rep, if you can.
    Just like going into an air-conditioned church or hall, it takes a while for the strings to adjust to the temp and humidity. Once they have settled, you can tune to the new atmosphere.
    The wind may cause the strings to sing as it blows thru them.
    I’m just speaking from my own experience, as I don’t know what others do, but sometimes the wind makes a whooshing sound thru the mic.
    Just hope there’s no rain. Keep your cover close by in case it starts to sprinkle.

    in reply to: yola site and documents #113153
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I see you used Slideshare. I got an answer from Yola, and she said to upload that. I haven’t tried it yet.
    To get my document back on Weebly, I scanned it and then loaded it as an image, and that worked.
    I really like the way you display the music on your site.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 824 total)