harpcolumn

Making a contract per gig

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Performing Making a contract per gig

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    alan-cross
    Participant

I’m wanting to start selling my harp playing to people so I looked around on the forums here and found a few people have contracts. I think that’s a good idea and was thinking about the terms and price I would charge per hour but here is the problem, I have no clue how to set up the contract or how it should even look.

I think it would look like one of those ToS you have to read (or don’t read) before you can download or play a game online. I’ve only been playing the harp for about 6 months and been teaching myself (via many youtube vids by professional harpist) and only started taking personal lessons for about 2 months. So I’m pretty new still but I didn’t want the contract being something short like

“Will play for agreed time frame for $50 per hour plus $80 deposit which will be returned at the end of the time frame. Canceling within 2 weeks = 50% deposit refund, 1 week = 20% deposit refund, Less than 1 week = no deposit return. No refunds for unused time and additional time past the agreed time frame will go at the rate of $65 per hour.”

Anyone who uses contracts will you be willing to upload a sample of your own contract for a rough guide? Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Any ideas will be helpful. Numbers from above are just pulled from the air. How much should one charge? Not like there are any other harpist in my town.

If you don’t want to show your contract here, please feel free to email it to me: alancross6@aol.com

thank you

Sylvia
    Participant

Can’t help with that because I don’t use a contract, but you will probably need a website with info and music samples on it. I don’t see one on your profile.

The contract used by professionals in the music industry, members of American Federation of Musicians, with offices called Locals in every major city in the U.S. (for example, New York City is Local 802) is ideal. Just about every professional musician who made it into earning a good living, whether classical, jazz, etc. belongs to this organization. There are dues to pay each year but you are well protected from non-payment of wages etc. as you would see from the contract. Find your nearest Local on the internet and ask questions. This same contract is hard to beat and is printed on both sides of a sheet of paper. I’m not famous, but for over 50 years of my musical life it’s nice to have all those benefits provided with a contract, just as for Kenny G, Frank Sinatra, and prominent conductors, pianists, violinists who have made a name for themselves.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies