harpcolumn

Dance Macabre

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Dance Macabre

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lisa-fenwick
    Participant

Any thoughts on how to make letter E easier to play up to speed beyond not doubling the octave? While I have not yet been to a rehearsal, the recordings I have been listening to go by fast. Thanks.

Sylvia
    Participant

I’m looking at it (just played it recently), and I guess you mean the gorilla section at E. I call it that because the composer thinks our arms are so long our hands hang down to our knees. I DID play the octaves. I just kind of scoonched down so I could reach it…the whole section is low, so you don’t have to go anywhere else at the time. It’s hard to get any volume down there (like the conductor wants)…because it’s both hard to reach and fast. I always practice with a recording.

lisa-fenwick
    Participant

Thanks Sylvia, I am back to playing the octaves. I still think it is hard to play fast!

paul-knoke
    Participant

Hi Lisa
    You can leave out the lower note in the left hand if you want, since it’s doubled by the ‘cellos with sustained chords. I’ve had conductors suddenly speed up there, in performance, so I left out the last note of the right hand figure in every measure and just kept up with the downbeat. It kind of messed up the meter but the music was flying by so fast, I don’t think anyone noticed!
    Paul

rosalind-beck
    Participant

I do what Paul does, i.e., leave out the last right hand note in each measure at that spot. Goes too fast for those notes to be missed.

lisa-fenwick
    Participant

Thank you all. Rehearsal went fine. Really appreciate all of your help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies