Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: free websites #112924
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I just put it back on…will leave it for you to see. Go to the Contact Us page.
    I tried opening it, selecting, copying, and pasting…it worked…it is 8 pages, but only 2671 KBs.

    When you load a file, it has to be 5MB or less. That’s 5120 KB. You can look at the file size you have and see if it will fit. If it’s too big, it won’t load at all.

    For this and for loading music samples, you can’t get to them until you save, publish, and go back into your site from the outside.

    In other words, while you are still on your yola dashboard, you will not be able to click on that file link and open it.

    in reply to: free websites #112922
    Sylvia
    Participant

    1. I just noticed you can have more than one yolasite….and endless ones if you use different addresses, I suppose…but I want to learn these other sites because I had tried to set them up and given up.
    2. I loaded sheet music on yolasite (I took it off afterwards).
    I went to media and then file and loaded an MS Word file. It takes a while to load (shows number of seconds at bottom of page). Then another thing shows next to that at the bottom of the page. You click on that, and VOILA, you see the music. The music itself is not pasted to the yolasite page….just the link.
    I didn’t think to try it, but I will later….selecting and copying the pages from there and pasting them into a file.

    in reply to: free websites #112920
    Sylvia
    Participant

    http://www.WeddingHarpMusic.yolasite.com Paul and Brenda, I’ve done a lot of work on my website…putting on music as MP3s and adding pictures. I haven’t figured out how to make the MP3s louder without vibrations, tho I’ve sort of investigated how it can be done online…and also tried different settings on the recorder.

    So far, Yola hasn’t said I have too much there, but my page looks kind of full. I am constructing a Weebly and an Hpage so I can just daisy chain them. I will put a link on Yola that says…for more music and pics, go here. Then when I get a lot on that, I’ll put a link that says…for more music and pics, to here (Hpage)…so I have all the space I want!

    in reply to: Anything you are not keen on ?? #61931
    Sylvia
    Participant

    One I thought of right away….is the Sousa Stars and Stripes. I make major modifications. Tempo is 138, and I’d dearly love to see someone play the part as written at that tempo! No one cares, of course, and the section that shows is the third section, which is OK for the arpeggios, and then deteriorates into (loud) madness, again requiring modifications. The part is not attributed to Sousa, although he always had a harpist in his band.

    in reply to: anyone fancy a pair of these #113088
    Sylvia
    Participant

    They would make nice bookends. (sorry, can’t resist…I’m very anti-heels)
    http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/about-your-health/health-conditions-library/womens-health/Pages/high-heels.aspx

    “Extended wear of high heels and continually bending your toes into an unnatural position can cause a range of ailments, from ingrown toenails to irreversible damage to leg tendons. Additionally, cramming your toes into a narrow toe box can cause nerve damage and bunions,” says Dr. Nevins. “High heels have also been linked to overworked or injured leg muscles, osteoarthritis of the knee, plantar fasciitis and low back pain,” she adds.

    According to Dr. Nevins, when you wear high heels – shoes with a heel two inches or higher – your foot slides forward in your shoe, forcing the toes into the unnatural shape of the shoe and redistributing your weight incorrectly. The increased weight on your toes causes your body to tilt forward, and to compensate, you lean backwards and overarch your back, creating a posture that can strain your knees, hips, and lower back. “The change to the position of your spine puts pressure on nerves in the back and can cause sciatica, a condition where nerves become trapped, triggering pain and numbness as far down as the feet,” Dr. Nevins adds.

    High Heels and Chronic Pain
    Over time, wearing high heels can shorten the muscles in your calves and in your back, leading to pain and muscle spasms. “Any time you wear shoes that restrict the natural shape of your foot, you’re at risk for experiencing pain,” Dr. Nevins points out. According to Dr. Nevins, many women who wear high heels often suffer a shortening of the Achilles tendon because once the heel is pointed upwards, it tightens up. Stretching it again or switching to flats can be very painful; it can even lead to plantar fasciitis. “This tendon is designed to be flexible, so the foot can lie flat or point. With repetitive wear, you can develop unhealthy patterns that can persist even when you’re not wearing high heels,” adds Dr. Nevins.

    in reply to: Anyone know any history of my harp?- very strange #77475
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I went to your bio, but it didn’t show anything there. That’s a gorgeous harp. I would have bought it, too! I wonder why it’s loud.

    in reply to: Anyone know any history of my harp?- very strange #77472
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Leon, can you put a picture of it here?

    in reply to: Advent music #61916
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Some of the lead sheets on Cardiphonia actually show the music with chord symbols. (others kind of go nowhere, so you have to explore)
    I haven’t needed Advent music, but I’m glad this came up because I wouldn’t have known about it otherwise.

    in reply to: Advent music #61913
    Sylvia
    Participant
    in reply to: Advent music #61909
    Sylvia
    Participant
    in reply to: What’s going on???? #113069
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I wonder if you practice the same way all the time. Maybe you could try recording yourself and listening to what you’re doing. If you always practice at the same dynamic level, try practicing loudly and slowly, giving your hands a lot of time to leave the strings and come back.

    in reply to: Roland Cube? #113056
    Sylvia
    Participant

    After much research, I found out that a really good repairman at one of the music stores is able to rebuild the used amps that come in. My next step is to see if he can do my Marathon. I really need exactly what they used to make…an acoustic guitar amp….which is what my Marathon is, and apparently my little Radio Shack is. That means…like the old days when the guitarist sat or stood in front of a mic and played (no pickup, no wire to an amp…only the mic connected to the amp.)

    in reply to: Loud audiences #113040
    Sylvia
    Participant

    You have a gift for semantics…to me, anyone in the vicinity with ears is my audience!
    You’re right about the party. They all seemed to have a great time.

    in reply to: Loud audiences #113038
    Sylvia
    Participant

    No one here besides me has ever played a bridal shower? Just curious.

    in reply to: Roland Cube? #113054
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I tried a Fishman pickup when I first started going out years ago…it picked up the sound of the pedals unless I put it pretty high up, and then the cord came thru as a swooshing sound every time I moved. Unless someone develops a cordless one that i can put high on the harp, I will stick to mics.

    I use both a corded and cordless mics…depending on how far away I can place the amps…I usually use both amps. They are guitar amps. One is a Marathon 30W I got from Sylvia Woods about 30 yrs ago…been repaired twice, which is why I’d like to find one as a replacement, just in case. The other is a little Radio Shack 20W I got when my Marathon went out. It was all they had that day, and I grabbed it…glad I did. Sadly, Radio Shack no longer makes amps, I understand…… the amount of sound is quite a lot…either amp can get louder with the cordless mics because you can turn up the receiver and turn up the mic itself…but again, it depends on the room and how much feedback there is.

    I put my mics on the floor with padding under them. Music store guys try to tell me they won’t work on the floor, and I tell them I’ve been putting them (and the ones the give me in churches) on the floor for 30 years, and they DO work.

    The reason I’m looking at PAs is because the newer amps all respond to plugged in guitars, but not to acoustic sounds….I’ve tried a lot of them with the same result.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 824 total)