Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Student Plateau #230332
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Does she know she’s plateaued?
    When I was a new student at 20, I hit a plateau, and my teacher explained to me that’s what had happened. Once I knew that, I didn’t worry about it. It helped me just to know what was happening.

    in reply to: Basel Sara's Passing #228354
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I read the obit, but she doesn’t say what he died from or his age. He looks quite young in the photos.

    in reply to: Harp shipping question #226372
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I have transported my harp on its side for decades….every time I go out to a job.

    in reply to: Temperature #224250
    Sylvia
    Participant

    If it was so cold, why in the world would they open the windows? Just wondering.

    in reply to: Another scam #222729
    Sylvia
    Participant

    William really needs to learn the difference between slatted and slated.

    in reply to: Starting the harp as an adult #222444
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I was 20 and in college when I started.
    If you’re a harpist, it will find you.
    Like others have said, most people will not turn into a virtuoso.

    in reply to: What other instruments do you play? #222401
    Sylvia
    Participant

    0
    I had to take class piano in college, and it was torture. I just don’t think in black and white. My brain is wired to harp strings. I play pedal harp.
    I marvel at people who play both pedal and lever harp because I would automatically move my feet.
    I played violin with my blind student in middle school orchestra so I would understand the braille better. (I brailled the music for him, and string music has tons of markings….bowings, accents, etc.)
    He had perfect pitch and did fine. (only problem at first was keeping the bow in the right place, but we got a bow-right gizmo to put on the fiddle so he could get used to the feeling of where the bow should be) Since all the music had to be memorized, he did not continue in high school.
    I was terrible. Couldn’t look at my hands, so I was the one who was handicapped.

    in reply to: Privacy error notice? #221931
    Sylvia
    Participant

    The “new” started the last time (back some years ago) the format was re-done.

    in reply to: Privacy error notice? #221873
    Sylvia
    Participant

    https://new.harpcolumn.com/forums/

    I tried to copy and paste the page, but it wouldn’t copy.

    in reply to: Playing harp chords on the piano #221798
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Listen to a recording of Scheherazade, and you will hear how the chords are played.

    in reply to: Position of Harp 2 in the orchestra #221118
    Sylvia
    Participant

    It has been my experience that the conductor decides harp placement in orchestra.

    in reply to: Do you name your harp? #220960
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Both of my harps have names.
    My LH15 is Hyacynth. (with two Ys because I misspelled it at first, so I decided to keep it that way)

    She is named after a Mid-Eastern poem:

    If thou of fortune be bereft
    And to thee alone two loaves are left
    Sell one, and with the dole
    Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul.

    My Aoyama Étude is Niña, Spanish for little girl.
    She was born in Japan, her genre is French (Étude), and her given name is Spanish. Very cosmopolitan.

    in reply to: Playing w thumb collapse #219693
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I was hoping you’d fill in the details on this.
    Thanks.

    in reply to: Playing w thumb collapse #219591
    Sylvia
    Participant

    What kind of surgery did you have? Trigger thumb?

    in reply to: The 9 to 5 Life #218646
    Sylvia
    Participant

    BK- I’m happy for you, and I hope you have good health insurance and income for retirement.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 824 total)