column

free websites

Home Forums Coffee Break free websites

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Sylvia
    Participant

This subject came up a while back. I wonder who has free web sites and if there are any problems with them. I think someone said they had Weebly.

Paul and Brenda
    Participant

We use Yola. Works fine. Did take a while to set up though.

Sylvia
    Participant

I thought you were the ones with Weebly. Have you had the Yola quite a while? I just wonder if advertisers spam them or anything.

Paul and Brenda
    Participant

We have used Yola since Sept. ’09. Never heard of Weebly. Don’t think they get spam. It seems like a good site. Not hard to set up. Of course they want you to upgrade for money. We don’t get any emails from them.

Sylvia
    Participant

Do you Have to upgrade, or can you coast forever? I looked at it, and it seemed easy.

Paul and Brenda
    Participant

We haven’t changed anything on it since soon after we got it, so it keeps going. We don’t even visit very often.

Sylvia
    Participant

I set up a site on Yola. It is completely free and no maintenance cost.
    It’s pretty clunky, but it’s there. I sure appreciate the tip you gave me to go there! Thanks!

A few drawbacks. Couldn’t load pics (too heavy, they said, even when I made a pic really small, saved it different ways, etc.) I just used some links to articles that had pics of me.

The music allowed is about 15 seconds per clip…pretty tricky to get anything in there. I’m still experimenting….will put on more music clips. The good thing is you can keep going back in and changing stuff. I want to replace the clips I have on there with better ones…just trying to get used to recording for a tiny bit of time.
    http://www.WeddingHarpMusic.Yolasite.com

Paul and Brenda
    Participant

Wow your site looks great. Glad you like it. Wish we could offer some suggestions but we haven’t changed anything on ours for a long time. Will have to try working with it to remember what all we did.

Sylvia
    Participant

I’m wondering how you got your pics on yours!
    I think my math is way off. I think I can get longer music on there with the mp3…at first I was doing wav, so I was figuring the same KBs, and mp3 gets a lot more….so I’m still working at it. It allows 5MB for the music, I think, and 1MB for pics. Will experiment more today.
    Maybe there’s a way to get pics on, but my links all have pics and help because one is a church wedding, one is a museum program, one is a benefit (which I got paid for), and the testimonial is an outdoor wedding…so it’s a nice variety.

Sylvia
    Participant

I definitely was figuring my KBs and MBs wrong. There’s plenty of room for longer music. I changed some, but my settings on the recorder seem wrong, and I got some vibration sound.

Paul and Brenda
    Participant

Here is a tutorial from the site showing how to upload pictures. Went to their Help and searched “how to upload pictures.” Hope it works. It’s been a long time since we did our site, so don’t remember how we did it.

https://www.yola.com/tutorials/article/How-do-I-add-pictures-to-my-site-1285944426524/Basics_getting_started

Sylvia
    Participant

I had tried, but they kept saying they had to be only 1MB, I think.
    I’ll study the link and see if something works. Maybe I just didn’t do it right. Thanks!

Sylvia
    Participant

I got one on there. It was saved as a jpeg. I’m not quite sure what I’m doing, but I’ll keep studying it.

Paul and Brenda
    Participant

You could resize the pictures. For websites they can be pretty small, like 100 KB or less.

Sylvia
    Participant

I’ve put three on there. I scanned into jpeg, used the picture widget, and loaded them in. I may not have had them in the right format before…this time it just loaded them without ever complaining. As you can see, my pics are not super quality. They were taken on a Walmart 10 (or 12). That’s what I call stuff that costs $10 or $12….like my watch or shoes…I just say…it’s a Walmart 10…now they seem to be more 12s.
    One pic is a church wedding, one an outdoor wedding, and one is from a benefit at a mansion…that lady is a doctor.
    Anyway, I so appreciate your input!! You’re a great help. Like I say, I really don’t know what I was doing wrong to start with…I’ve been muddling my way thru…learning something every day!
    Take a look.
    http://www.WeddingHarpMusic.yolasite.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.