harpcolumn

Mid sized harpmobiles?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Mid sized harpmobiles?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    donna-germano–2
    Participant

I’ve sold my concert grand and settled in with a semi-grand harp these days. I’m still driving a big dependable Odyssey minivan but wonder what mid-sized vehicles people are using. I don’t want to stuff a harp into something that just barely makes it. Looking for a reasonably friendly vehicle for loading but don’t know much about all the cross over/utility vehicle options. thanks for your suggestions !

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

Hi Donna,
    I LOVE my Subaru Forrester. I can fit my L&H Style 17 in with no problem, and for snow and ice, it can’t be beat. I also get 29 miles to the gallon, which is better than estimated miles per gallon. One of my closest friends drives the Equinox and can fit her L&H 85 and a lever harp at the same time with no problem. Good Luck in you search.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Do you know whether it’s possible to put something larger in the Forrester—a 23 or an 11?

donna-germano–2
    Participant

thanks Sherj! I like that one!

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

You are supposed to be able to fit a 23 into the Forrester, but since I don’t own one, I haven’t tried. We own 2 Forresters, and the older one is 2″ longer than the newer Subaru. I can carry my Style 17 in the newer, smaller Subaru, along with someone sitting in the passenger seat. I don’t think I could carry a 23 with a passenger.

barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

I have a L and H 22 and a Toyota Sienna Van. It works great and I have room for music, music stand and two benches. I can also fit in a troubadour. I love it.

mia-strayer
    Participant

Donna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we have a nissan quest & we use it for my 85 gp harp
    on me & my harp teacher’s birthday we had to load
    her venus classic concert harp into our van
    It was a tight squeeze because we also had my cousins in there too

donna-germano–2
    Participant

I have an Odyssey minivan which is great. I can even get the Celtic harp in along with pedal harp and amp. And I am still able to parallel park! But my question was not about minvans. I wondered about the newer crossovers and utility vehicles. Like the Kia Sorento and vehicles like that.

Donna, the Toyota Camry 1992 station wagon if you can find one, can hold a Lyon and Healy Model 17 or a Venus Encore easily.

donna-germano–2
    Participant

I liked the days of the old station wagons. I had a Honda accord wagon which I loved until I bought a concert grand. probably similar to your Camry wagon. but I don’t want to go to something that old. I did hear a few manufacturers were beginning to make station wagons again and hope we will see more in the future. I might stick with my 2004 Odyssey until I see something better. My favorite was when the Odyssey first came out. It was a small minivan built on the Accord platform.

Sonya Wiley

My brother recently bought a beautiful used Volvo station wagon; i haven’t measured but i think i could get my 15 in there and it being lower than my Murano it would be so much easier. I’ve always loved station wagons since i was a kid; but I do love the crossovers.

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

One of the other things about my Forrester is that you don’t have to bend low like you do with a van to load the harp. It’s a bit higher off the ground so there is no back strain.

Sylvia
    Participant

I’m wondering if you people load flat or on the column…sounds like on the column. I’ve never done that. I have a 95 Honda Accord wagon, and hope it lasts. I’ve always loaded flat….even when I had a Dodge van. Please explain how you load on the column without the harp tipping? I don’t think my wagon would be high enough to even get the harp (LH15) in that way.

marcia-farkas
    Participant

Mazda Sport wagon, fits L&H 23 concert. Also holds 2 L&H 16’s.

kreig-kitts

A Prius should fit a semi grand reasonably well. A Prius V should fit it very easily.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.