harpcolumn

Ponchielli Dance of the Hours

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Ponchielli Dance of the Hours

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sylvia
    Participant

The recording I have does not sound like the score (of the opera) looks where this is supposed to be.
    Does the stand alone D of the H have a part that is different from the opera?

http://imslp.org/wiki/La_Gioconda_(Ponchielli,_Amilcare)
    The whole score is here, so if you know which act in which to look, this should answer your question.
    I have only played Dance of the Hours on its own, so I can’t answer your question off the top of my head.

It’s on page 382 of Act 3. The Dance of the Hours has various sections: The Hour of the Dawn, Dance of the Hours of Daytime, Dance of the Hours of the Evening, and Dance of the Hours of Night. It looks exactly the same as the one that we play as a stand-alone piece in symphony concerts. This is the piece made famous in the first Fantasia by Walt Disney, with the dancing hippos and crocodiles.

Sylvia
    Participant

Thank you. I guess I didn’t see all of it. I didn’t know it had been Disneyfied.

Sylvia
    Participant

But how is the stand alone different from the opera score? Does it leave out sections or what?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.