Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Leaving your harp in the car? #141903
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Mine’s in the car in the garage, with two covers (the old-style canvas and a nylon one to protect the canvas.) It has been over 100 here lately. The garage has insulation in the ceiling, and it’s only 90 out there, tho it’s 102 outside my window…if the thermometer is right. I wouldn’t stay loaded and parked outside because that would be too much. I haven’t been in really cold weather for years, thank goodness, so that’s not a problem.

    I’ve been doing the overnights for years, and mine have been fine with this arrangement. In fact, that’s the main reason I bought a second harp, so I could sometimes leave one packed…saves a lot of labor.

    Another thought…I have straight soundboards, so maybe wide ones are more delicate.
    If your harp has ever been shipped, it has probably already endured temp extremes.

    in reply to: Leaving your harp in the car? #141894
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I do it all the time…sometimes a couple of days, like this weekend. I play this evening and again on Sunday, so I will stay packed. I can still practice on my other harp.

    in reply to: Washing Covers #141809
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Maybe it should be dry cleaned?
    I don’t know what newer covers are made of. My LH-15 1971 cover is heavy canvas…never cleaned. Many years ago, I made a white nylon cover to put over it to protect it….but I’ve never kept it anywhere that mice live. Maybe you should invest in some cats. I have four, and I never have mice in here. I’m sure this has been lots of help to you. (:

    in reply to: Bigger forum body font — thoughts? #140919
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Bigger print, please. The contrast needs to be greater…as someone said, the grey just doesn’t do it.
    The print on the forum two revisions ago was very readable and had lots of contrast.
    Thanks.

    in reply to: Musical Intention #140465
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’ll just throw this in the mix…tho probably no one will know what I mean.
    When I first saw the post, I didn’t think about anything physical at all. I really don’t know what physical things I’m doing. (Don’t worry. I’m not a teacher and don’t want to be.)

    I think we don’t play notes; we play sounds. Notes just represent the sounds.
    Musical intention? My goal is for the harp to sound beautiful…clean with no noises (buzzes, squeaks, etc.) between sounds…. and no harsh or forced sounds. I record myself frequently to make sure I’m not playing bad sounds and just “tuning out” and not hearing them.
    When I play somewhere and people comment, the word I want to hear is “beautiful.” Then I know I’ve accomplished what I wanted to do.

    To describe how I play, I’d say I play from the guts and listen for the sounds I want.

    Sylvia
    Participant

    Victoria,
    I don’t know if your orchestra publishes their season menu, but around here they do.
    If I think I might be playing, I either get the part from IMSLP or buy it, and I already have a filing cabinet full of parts I bought and studied many years ago. I play in a youth orchestra (not bec I’m young, but because they didn’t have a harp), and he lets me know the season menu ahead of time so I can see if there will be parts.

    I have always done this because I simply do not sightread, and it takes me a long time to prepare parts. I figured out many years ago there was no reason to wait. Much easier to just spend the money and get started. I start on operas a year in advance, or longer, if possible.

    You know the old saying: other instrumentalists go to rehearsal to learn their parts…the harpist must know the part to go to rehearsal.

    BTW, What are the parts?

    in reply to: New format #122333
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I don’t even see my profile anymore.
    I’m ready to quit on this thing.

    in reply to: notifications #122323
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I don’t want them, either.

    in reply to: Another kind of wedding #62884
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Why the Schubert? I knew about the Bach-Gounod Ave, and in my early years, I would play them both and ask the bride which one she wanted. The bride would ALWAYS identify the Schubert as the one she wanted. As I said, this is S. TX, and most people are Hispanic. The Schubert is the one they know and love.

    in reply to: injured toe while practising in bare feet #60634
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I always practice in bare feet. Maybe some of us just have big, strong feet and Elizabeth is more dainty. I’d trip up on sandals, for sure. I have hand-made soft leather shoes I wear to perform, or I wear ballet shoes if I’m in black.

    in reply to: Professional orchestra and harp moving #62935
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I have always found out the programs in advance and bought my parts. Now a lot of them are available on IMSLP. If I waited till two weeks before a rehearsal to look at the music for anything, I wouldn’t be able to play.

    in reply to: Pain in the left shoulder after playing #60612
    Sylvia
    Participant

    We don’t know how big Deidre’s harp is, or even if it is a pedal harp. Also, we don’t know how long she has played…whether she’s a newbie or has been playing for years…or whether she is self-taught or has a teacher. If she posted a video, probably the teachers here would be able to tell her the source of her problem.

    Some pedal harps are huge, but others not so much.
    Even with my 15, I would not hold the harp with my knees because I need my feet free for the pedals…so the harp has to rest on my shoulder….it’s been there for many years of playing, and nothing dire has happened to my nerves…and I’m not fat. (see Harp Column bio and website for pics)

    But Deidre’s problem is in the left shoulder, not the right. I use a pad (some folded up newspaper inside a pillowcase folded up) on my shoulder when I practice, but of course, not when I perform.

    Gretchen’s probably on the right track. She’s BTDT (been there, done that)
    Check the bench height.

    in reply to: OUCH! #113641
    Sylvia
    Participant

    When I get home from a cold wedding, I get into the bathtub with nice, hot water for a good soak.

    in reply to: Time to buy a pedal harp for my daughter. Help! #78389
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Actually, I wasn’t trying to sell anyone on the 15, but merely bringing up the question of transporting a harp, which will surely become important. I didn’t think of it AT ALL when I bought mine. It’s just a blessing I couldn’t afford the Princess Louise, which was the one I wanted.

    Both my harps were made for me. Back then, the waiting list for used harps was always three years, and LH didn’t keep lots of ready made harps around. ALL I thought about was getting a harp! I would have been happy with anything….and I’ve been very happy with my 15….she’s 43 now, and I wouldn’t part with her.

    I think LH pre-owned harps have some sort of guarantee, so I wouldn’t worry if I were buying one.

    in reply to: Time to buy a pedal harp for my daughter. Help! #78386
    Sylvia
    Participant

    My 15 was born in 1971. Alas, I think they make them bigger and heavier now.
    You can see and hear mine on my website (which is also on my Harp Forum profile).
    I’m playing the 15 for the music samples.
    WeddingHarpMusic.yolasite.com

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 824 total)