column

OUCH!

Home Forums Coffee Break OUCH!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

I played a lovely, outdoor wedding this past weekend and all went well. NOW, I’m in a lot of pain – OUCH! My friend and “Harp hauler” for the weekend helped me out SOOOOO much in the whole process, I just don’t know how I could have done it with out her.

Anyway – it was a BEAUTIFUL water front setting with a view that was amazing. There was a “Breeze” blowing that at times DEFINATELY transformed into WIND making my harp sing on it’s own. I had taken an amplifier as I was parked under a tree quite a distance away from the ceremony as well as the big mansion house that the bridal part would be coming from. AND with the “Breeze” and knowing how the sound would ride the wind, I wanted to be ready and not just entertain the birds down the river. With the music stand bungeed to the ground with tent stakes and music rubberbanded in, I did my thing. Deb (my friend) body-blocked the wind several times so an not to hear the self-singing harp. In addition to all of the conditions, IT WAS COLD! Oh, my hands had no problem, but I just couldn’t stop shivering! I did have on a sweater, but that really didn’t help. AND, those crazy people with the cameras shooting through the strings, up my nose . . . Well, that’s another story.

Played the prelude, the ceremony, the recessional and an hour afterward, relocating by the pool for coctail hour and then outta there!

With my warm up before, I figured I played for 2 hours non-stop (my bad) with the exception of the “I do’s”. All of that plus the constant tension of being cold, I was quite sore. I had scheduled a deep tissue massage for the next day thinking ahead of what the day might involve.

WELL, my daughter-in-law and I went on Sunday for our massages and I get “BRUNHILDA” (my name for her), who was at least 6′ 5″ and was quite a large person. My first thought was “This woman’s going to HURT me”! Well, she did!!!

I have NOT been able to lift my right arm long enough to play since! I keep getting numbness in my back upper shoulder, elbow, wrist (all at different times) and I think she bruised a kidney! NO KIDDING! Yes, I should have said something . . . NO, I didn’t. Just kept thinking “Deep tissue – yeah, it’s suppose to be a bit uncomfortable”. I have gotten massages LOT’s of times before – usually “Hot rock” and with my usual massage person. This was a different place with a different person altogether.

I’m giving things a few more days to straighten out, and if not, I’m off to the physical therapist.

Lesson being – stick to your regular massage therapist if you have one. Otherwise, after a day of harp and equipment hauling, freezing and playing. Just go home and soak in a hot tub with a glass of wine. I think things would have been MUCH better in the end! UGH!!

Kay

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Physical therapy helped me out a lot with some pain I was having in my neck, so I’m really glad that you’ll be seeing your therapist. I hope that you feel better soon!! Hugs, Jer

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

AND, those crazy people with the cameras shooting through the strings, up my nose

I had to laugh at that comment. I can definitely relate!

Sylvia
    Participant

When I get home from a cold wedding, I get into the bathtub with nice, hot water for a good soak.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Kay,
    Are you feeling any better?
    Jer

kay-lister

Hey there Jer!

I’m getting there – thanks! I had to go to MY lesson as a “One armed bandit” as I called it. I just couldn’t keep my right arm up without support AND the wrist, elbow (inner and out), and back of the shoulder were all numb.

I did have a physical therapy eval. scheduled for this coming Thursday, but things have improved in the last couple days and I called this morning to cancel it. I was able to play with both hands last evening. Still feels a little sore and every now and then I get a tingle, but looks like it is on the mend.

Thanks for asking!

God bless,
    Kay

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

I’m so glad to hear that you’re feeling better!!

barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

Hi Kay,

I rely on my trusting chiropractor once a week to take away the pain from harp playing as well as the schlepping involved. He’s marvelous and I really recommend a good chiropractor if you’re having any pain in any parts of your body–especially neck and back pain related to harp.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.