Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Sylvia
Participant1. I wish I had bought a harp that had been in the showroom and already had settled and had its first-year regulation.
2. Who will be moving it? (At some point, your daughter will be going places to play.)
I bought my first harp many years ago. I wanted a concert grand, but I couldn’t afford anything but the LH 15, what with the down payment and the monthly payments for three years. After I started going out to play, I was SO GRATEFUL I didn’t have a bigger harp.
3. Later, I bought an Aoyama Etude (no longer made, I think), which is even smaller, which I use for outdoor playing, house parties, band rehearsals, etc. It’s very practical.
4. I’m 5’7”, 130 lbs, and have big hands. The 15 is a little tight at the top, but I manage OK.
Sylvia
ParticipantSounds like you put a lot of work into your demonstration.
You didn’t mention if you showed them an orchestra part and discussed the role of harp in orchestra.
I kind of gasped reading your description about the harp cover. I guard my cover with my life…I would never even put it on the floor.
I’m wondering where it was. I play in the youth symphony here. These kids are so sophisticated, and they act like an adult orchestra.Sylvia
ParticipantAren’t you the lucky one? I’ve always moved my harp in and out of all those places and maneuvered the parking, lousy entrances, etc. It’s all in the game…at least it has been for me. Maybe the UK is more humane in its treatment of musicians.
The harp is part of the orchestra percussion section. (pitched percussion) I don’t see the tympanist hauling his own drums in and out of the place. The stagehands do it. All he does is walk in, tune, and play. That’s what we should be able to do.
Sylvia
ParticipantWhat about Lucia?
Sylvia
ParticipantSaul, my teacher, bless his heart, was a Salzedo student.
I still say…the important thing is not what it looks like, but how does it sound? Is the sound clean and beautiful?Sylvia
ParticipantHere’s another thread about this.
http://musicstand.harpcolumn.com/forums/harps-and-accessories/posts/35750Mine has 46 strings.
Sylvia
ParticipantIf you mean a LH 15, mine is 1971 and 65 1/2 lbs. You can see it on my profile and website.
Sylvia
ParticipantI just want to add that if you made the piece look easy, that in itself means you played well.
Sylvia
ParticipantI know I would be absolutely torn apart to have to sell mine. But you have even so much more to deal with. I’m glad you are alive and hope you can someday buy him back when that terrible war ends.
Sylvia
ParticipantThank you for answering. Maybe someone is thinking of us.
Research and Development? Please do. It’s basically what everyone needs. Seems like the technology should be there to do it. I wish they’d send me the survey.My wireless mic does not attach, so I put it on the floor next to the harp (think sound hole …. bottom of harp is all hollow), but the newer amps just will not pick up unless there is a direct pickup….I’ve tried enough of them to give up. Then they stick the thing into a guitar, and you can hear it a couple of blocks away.
I still use my two old amps, and I had the older one rebuilt. They will pick up the sound from a microphone next to the harp, either wireless or a corded mic. There are times when the amp is quite a distance from the harp, and being tied to a cord is not what I need…and of course I’d like to be able to use the newer amps.
I have a pickup with a cord that I don’t use because when the cord moves, it makes a swishing sound, and sticking the thing on was a problem….no good place.
The fiddles and cellos have wireless things to stick on, but they do seem to still have a cord dangling.Sylvia
ParticipantI agree with the block chords…I also do the chords as short long, long short…slower faster, slower faster.
Sylvia
ParticipantI practice slowly and firmly with long short longs, and then short long shorts. I go all the way thru the passage with the pattern long short long short long, etc….next time thru the passage with the pattern short long short long short, etc….then back to the other pattern…back and forth as long as I can stand it….slowly and placing firmly.
When I put it with the metronome, I go back and forth from slower to faster, slower to faster, and try to eventually take it faster than tempo, so that going back to tempo feels comfortable and stays clean with no noise between notes.
Sylvia
ParticipantIt’s on IMSLP, and it has TWO harps.
Sylvia
ParticipantJust a word …. If you write a book, you have all the publishing costs, and then you have to sell it at a low price to get people to buy it…and the market for harp wedding books is pretty small. I found that out when I published my harpisodes, detailing the sometimes ugly truth of playing weddings…the view from the back end of a harp….not at all the lovely wedding the audience sees. I sell them really cheap, so I don’t make a cent off them. But…if you like to share funny stories, it’s a great way to do it.
Sylvia
ParticipantI’m wondering just how long the aisle is…and why you’d have time for a key change. Why not just play the first part and repeat it, like the bridal entrance does….going to the dominant and the next time going to the tonic?
-
AuthorPosts