Sylvia

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 824 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: How often should you change your spares? #142799
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I always use from the spares and then replace spares with new strings, as Catherine has said above.
    You didn’t mention how you keep your strings.
    I keep each octave in its own plastic ziploc, all the nylons together in their ziploc, the guts in their ziploc, and the wires in their ziploc. So they are all double-bagged as well as being in their original little ziploc. (triple-bagged, really) Spares at home are in a protective canvas bag. Traveling spares are in a nylon bag.

    I have two harps, so I have a double spares supply, but I use out of the traveling spares only….and then replace those with strings from the bag of home spares. I write the date that I got the string on masking tape and tape it to the ziploc. Some of mine (5th As and Bs) got to be 20 years old before they were used, and they were fine.
    I never replace all strings at once, only what’s dreadful. I don’t have the time or money to do that.
    If you’re getting rid of 5-yr-old strings, send them to me.
    Here is my website to listen to my old strings.
    http://www.WeddingHarpMusic.Yolasite.com

    in reply to: Sharping the A-Pedal is really hard! Should it be? #142727
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Could you be sitting too far away or too far to the left? Or maybe your bench is not high enough to give you leverage?
    Perhaps you could just play it with pedals in Db instead of D. Then you’d just need to go to naturals.

    in reply to: My harp got wet… what should I do?? #142723
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I’m sure we are ALL sympathetic…just trying to make sure something like that doesn’t happen again.

    in reply to: My harp got wet… what should I do?? #142720
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Mine were just weddings, and I don’t use a contract.
    However, no one questioned me on why I did what I did. It is very obvious to observers. There is no need to explain or apologize.
    If anyone is stupid enough to ask, you could just say…would YOU leave a XXK instrument out in the rain?

    in reply to: My harp got wet… what should I do?? #142704
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I don’t know, but just for future reference….
    I’ve had a couple of close calls with rain, and I keep my cover right with me, and the dolly as close as possible. At the first sign of a sprinkle, I jump up and cover up the harp and try to get to a safe place, if there is one.
    You do NOT have to keep playing. Your harp is more important than anything that’s going on.

    in reply to: Starting the harp as an adult #142577
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I agree with the other comments. I started lessons in college. I saw a harp case in the hall in the music building and went and signed up. I had no ambitions…I just knew I needed to play. It is in your heart.

    I bought my first harp while working nights in a nursing home. I had no idea where the harp would lead me, as Angela said. It’s been quite a journey…always an adventure. Anyone who wants to play should play.

    in reply to: grade 2 piano first #142558
    Sylvia
    Participant

    The first lesson? Yikes. I was in college when I had my first harp lesson. Back in the day, my teacher used The First Harp Book by Betty Paret. I started with one finger (Finger 2). Then when those were proficient enough, it went to Finger 2 plus the thumb, and so on. I’m sure I would have fallen apart if my first lesson had been having to use two or three fingers all at once.

    in reply to: grade 2 piano first #142529
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I know this is about piano students, but…..I also broke my wrist roller skating … when it hit the concrete. I was off for about three months. I had a fixator on my arm because the wrist bone was in smithereens, the DR. said. They put in a plate in surgery.
    Any harpist skating on concrete or ice, I say, wear guards!

    in reply to: shostakovitch 7 #142524
    Sylvia
    Participant
    in reply to: Harp tuned or strung incorrectly? #142364
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Item Specifications:
    UPC: 844731030215
    Origin: Pakistan
    Shipping Specifications:
    Ship Length: 40 inches
    Ship Height: 32 inches
    Ship Width: 20 inches
    Ship Weight: 155 lbs.

    I know that would include a shipping case of some kind, but the weight?? How heavy is that harp? My goodness.
    There’s a special note about strings on the ad, so I’m wondering if the strings were brought up to pitch when the harp arrived.

    Sylvia
    Participant
    in reply to: Leaving your harp in the car? #142299
    Sylvia
    Participant

    I think Ben is wondering whether to leave it packed overnight at the motels.
    I was wondering if his harp is an indoor or indoor-outdoor harp. (sounds like pets). We really don’t know what kind of environment his harp is used to.
    If Ben’s harp is only in constant AC, he may be worried about the changes it will experience in the move.

    My harps play for outdoor events and have always been exposed to extremes of temp and humidity.
    Going from WA to AZ, I’d wonder about humidity more than temp.

    As for nights at a motel, there is the possibility of theft, but the thief would need to be pretty resourceful, strong, and have a large vehicle.

    I do overniters + more all the time. This week, mine will stay packed from Thurs. nite till Sat. when I go out to play again. As I said in my message above, the temp in my garage gets up to 90.

    However, as with all harp stuff, we are all different, so what works for one may not work for somebody else.

    in reply to: When did you start teaching? #142193
    Sylvia
    Participant

    About the flakiness factor.
    Back in the day, I was one of those flakey students. (Now I’m a flakey adult.)
    Anyway, my harp teacher was probably the only stabilizing influence in my life at that time. I don’t know what would have become of me had he not been there as a mentor.
    I do not even use the technique he taught me…just a few of the practice methods.
    The most important thing he gave me was to be there as a constant, welcoming person, allowing me to be with one of the most beautiful things in life…a harp.

    in reply to: Health Issues and Harp Playing #142049
    Sylvia
    Participant

    As for illnesses, there are always new treatments coming along.
    However, I would certainly get 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, opinions if I were in that situation….and research on the Web for sure. Sometimes there are nutritional approaches, but doctors won’t tell you about them.

    Just to Elizabeth…Glenn Gould was always my favorite pianist, and I have records (yes, vinyls) of him playing. He could really tickle those ivories beautifully!

    in reply to: Harp Moving – Ramp vs Mechanical Lift #142048
    Sylvia
    Participant

    Remember someday you won’t be young, and harps get heavier as you age.
    …or you might be recovering from some kind of surgery or illness and not have your full strength.
    Life happens.
    I’d say that if you can afford it, go for the lift.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 824 total)