column

New format

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Donna O
    Participant

The new format works nicely on my PC, but since I generally access HarpColumn on my tablet (android), it’s a nightmare. There is no real layout. It’s a continuous scroll and makes it extremely difficult to find anything. The Navigation button does not work. I use Firefox as my primary browser on my tablet. Will that become anymore user friendly to navigate?

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

First of all, thank you for all the work you do on Harp Column. I would appreciate it if you would make the typeface larger. It would make the website more reader-friendly.

Kimberly Rowe
    Keymaster

Hi Donna:

Sorry you’re having issues with the Android. I will investigate. We know that there’s an issue with the “person” icon not working on tablets. Is that the button you’re referring to? I don’t use Android so I’m not sure what navigation button mean, but I will look into it. And chance you can send a picture?

The new design is set up to display “responsively” on mobile devices and tablets. So it’s not going to look exactly the same, but should theoretically work better on those devices. Sorry that’s not the case for you but we will do our best to try to figure out why.

Kim

Kimberly Rowe
    Keymaster

Hi Gretchen:

Thanks so much for the input. This is difficult for us because every browser is going to display things a little differently, and it’s pretty easy to “zoom” using most browsers nowadays. It’s a delicate balance since this affects every page on the site. We are pretty happy with the display we’ve settled on, but we are looking at options on the type size. Can I ask others to weigh in on this…let us know how things look for you.

Kim

HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hi Donna!

I’m reading the forums using Chrome on my Android phone and they seem to be working fine, navigation and log in included. We’ll definitely look closer at the Firefox issue though. Thanks for trying out the new site.

Donna O
    Participant

Hugh amd Kim, thanks for your responses. I can’t figure out how to take a screenshot on the tablet. For some strange reason the navigate button just started working. At least I can get around now. It’s not as easy to find things on the tablet as title bar does not display like it does on the pc. I’m sure I’ll figure it out in time. Thanks again DonnaO

Kimberly Rowe
    Keymaster

Donna:

Glad it’s at least working now! Also I wanted to mention that Hugh had an easier time by turning his phone sideways–it showed more options. Just mentioning that in case others have a similar issue!

Donna O
    Participant

Thanks Kim, I just turned on screen rotation and it worked. DonnaO

Tacye
    Participant

Am I the only one to get this?
    new.harpcolumn.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for http://www.harpcolumn.com (Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hi Tacye! Yeah, we have one certificate for http://www.harpcolumn.com and a different one for new.harpcolumn.com — since the site is now responding to http://www.harpcolumn.com, I switched to that certificate. I should probably change the referral links on the old site to point to the regular domain. In any case, you can safely ignore that warning.

Take care,
    –Hugh

Tacye
    Participant

I am confused – why has my message tucked in about halfway down the thread? Does this mean we will have to reread long threads to see where new messages are?

Kimberly Rowe
    Keymaster

Tayce: I’m not sure about this either and was wondering the same thing. What is your time zone? We’ll definitely check this out.

Tacye
    Participant

Thanks! My computer is on British Summer Time so later than the US.

I had trouble resetting my password from Firefox and kept getting this error message

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to new.harpcolumn.com, but we can’t confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site’s identity can’t be verified.
    What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn’t continue.

I was able to reset from Chrome.

HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hi all, sorry again about this.

The short answer is, the security certificate we have is valid for “www.harpcolumn.com”. It is *not* valid for “new.harpcolumn.com”. I need to change the links on the old site to stop pointing at “new.harpcolumn.com”… my mistake.

In any case if you browse to https://harpcolumn.com/lostpassword, you should be able to reset your password for the new site and log in without any difficulty. I apologize for creating confusion.

Take care,
    –Hugh

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.