harpcolumn

injured toe while practising in bare feet

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play injured toe while practising in bare feet

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I thought I should share this with you, since I couldn’t believe that it happened to me. I was practising in bare feet two days ago. While my big toe was pushing down on the E pedal, a blood vessel ruptured in it! Luckily, it only hurt a bit, so I put on a pair of shoes and kept practising. The next morning, the toe was all blue! It still hurt a bit, too, but today it is much better. I have been playing the harp since 1970, and this is the first time such a thing has happened. From now on, I will be practising in shoes!

mia-strayer
    Participant

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That sounds like that hurts
    I guess having no feeling in my
    feet sometimes comes in handy
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You been playing Harp sense 1970
    that’s pretty cool I think

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Wow, it’s good to know that this kind of thing can happen. My teacher always taught me not to practice in bare feet. I never got into the habit of it and am glad I didn’t!

kay-lister

OHHHHHHH Elizabeth – that hurts just thinking about it! Now I have practiced in sandles, but never bare feet. Definitely won’t now!

Feel better!!

K

Sylvia
    Participant

I always practice in bare feet. Maybe some of us just have big, strong feet and Elizabeth is more dainty. I’d trip up on sandals, for sure. I have hand-made soft leather shoes I wear to perform, or I wear ballet shoes if I’m in black.

mia-strayer
    Participant

Sometimes I do practice in bare feet because of
    the circulation in my feet not being the greatest
    But luckily I never had that happen

alexandra-baldwin
    Participant

I broke a blood vessel in my upper arm one Summer… it didn’t really hurt but WOW was it a amazing bruise! It lasted for weeks, and was every color you can imagine.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

My teacher always advised practicing in closed-toe shoes because the pedal can really hurt if it gets caught between your toes and the sole during rapid pedal changes. Speaking from painful experience, she was right!

Wow. Sorry that happened, but what a great story to stop students from practicing in bare feet. At worst, I wear flip-flops. At best, sandals or shoes.

At the Lyon & Healy 150th festival I saw Marie-Pierre Langlamet walk in to play, kick off her shoes and do absolutely AMAZING things with transcriptions. I guess she either has iron toes and feet, or she has figured out a way not to get hurt. I wear harp shoes. 🙂

I just bought some black leather slippers that allow me to grip the pedals while still giving some protection to the feet. I may use them for a piece I am doing that has lots of pedal slides.

I had a message from Jerusha, asking if these slippers have any heels. They don’t have heels, but the leather gives a great grip on the floor and pedals.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies