harpcolumn

Bigger forum body font — thoughts?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Website Issues and Feature Requests Bigger forum body font — thoughts?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hi all. I’ve bumped the forum body text size up by a point. What do you think: Too big? Not big enough? Just right? Let me know here.

–Hugh

Sherri Matthew
    Participant

Hi Hugh,

I’m happy with the size. Do you think it should be a serif font though?

And also, do you think the background color should be an off-white or light cream instead? I did that with my blog. I figured it would make it easier on the eyes. Just my thoughts.

Best,
    Sherri

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

Personally, I would prefer it even a bit bigger! One other thing – it is possible to make the letters black rather than grey? I find the lack of contrast more of a problem, though larger text would be good. But I can always re-size my screen. I *really* don’t like trying to read grey on a non-white background!

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

Actually, I’ve just compared a current live page to a saved screen shot – and there’s no difference! It really doesn’t seem any larger to me.

HBrock25
    Keymaster

OK, let me pass that by the rest of the staff… I don’t want to exceed my authority :).

–Hugh

Sylvia
    Participant

Bigger print, please. The contrast needs to be greater…as someone said, the grey just doesn’t do it.
    The print on the forum two revisions ago was very readable and had lots of contrast.
    Thanks.

Tacye
    Participant

The box where we type replies still has a rather small font, is it one which is the same point size but looks tiny? It is also a font I don’t like – if it were up to me I would suggest a change to Georgia. Much more harpy.

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

I agree with those who want a serif font (they’re supposed to be easier to read, though I can’t recall why). Georgia (in a larger size) would get my vote too, and it’s a pretty universal font, so most computers will have it. And yesssss – more contrast! The new forum is much harder to read than my no-longer-youthful eyes are comfortable with.

HBrock25
    Keymaster

This is going to sound odd, but I’m pretty sure we’re getting different sizes on different computers. The body font definitely got a lot bigger on my screen when I bumped up the point size. I suspect it has something to do with responsive design and different browsers.

I definitely agree on the font in the text area, it could be bigger and darker, will see what I can do there.

Finally — is anyone seeing a background color other than white for posts (not where you type them, the main area where you read them)? You should not be but I’m getting from some of the comments that you might be.

Sherri Matthew
    Participant

Hi Hugh,

Background color: that was my original suggestion… sorry for any confusion.
    Here’s my blog page for color/font reference: http://sherrimatthew.com/wordpress/

No, this page shows a crisp white background on my monitor. I agree with everyone the typeface should be darker, black if possible. I would adjust my own blog fonts to black if I could. I just use a cream background on my page because it is for some reason easier on my eyes.

HBrock25
    Keymaster

OK, how about this? Bumped the font size up two points in the text area and darkened the type.

Tacye
    Participant

Testing – yes, much clearer for me typing.  Thank you.

Sherri Matthew
    Participant

Looks good! I have no complaints. 🙂

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

Ack!! Tried it on my other browsers and the print is even *smaller*, though it does seem a little bit blacker, but not by much. And I keep the default point-size set fairly large. (Main browser on my Mac is Safari, plus Firefox, Opera, and Chrome – this last one does not work AT ALL well with Harp Column: full of hangs and repeated asking for password-remembering permission that never seems to register when I click Yes, so the annoying little nag box just keeps surfacing time after time with the same demand. I got this every time I clicked to a new HC page. That may be Chrome’s fault rather than HC’s, though I’ve never seen it behave like that with anything else, and have totally lost the will to spend one more second in there finding out.) I also own a PC running Windows 7, and will give the text-size/colour a test run on its two browsers, Firefox and Chrome (I don’t use IE) when it’s next switched on. Which ain’t gonna be tonight!

My background colour is more off-grey than off-white, but larger letters that are black enough will counteract that.

HBrock25
    Keymaster

OK… turning on the visual editor adds a serif font (yay!) but makes the type smaller (booo) and I can’t easily change it without hacking some javascript. However I think we want the visual editor, so leaving this for now…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.