Sid Humphreys

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 362 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: CHOOSING A “HARP TO GO” #77163

    I once fit my Daphne 40 pedal harp in my 2 door Nissan Sentra. Where there is a will, there is a way!

    in reply to: CHOOSING A “HARP TO GO” #77162

    I once fit my Daphne 40 pedal harp in my 2 door Nissan Sentra. Where there is a will, there is a way!

    in reply to: clip on tuners #77196

    I really like my Peterson pick up (and adapter) that I plug into my iPhone. It works with all my tuner apps, which comes in handy in noisy venues (also with the pick up I can register the 00F and 00G as well as the bottom D and C if the room is quiet.) If the Snark looks like it will have a viewing disability then why bother?
    I’m in the dark about the rears shoes.

    in reply to: Bisbigliando #60365

    She may have called it “Fireflies” or something, an alternate title for this piece. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNFtRU_c2Ec is the link:
    The piece starts at 7:25 and the “bis” starts at 7:46.
    To practice this technique, it is clearly explained in “Harp For Today” written by McDonald and Rollo. The exercises start on page 139 in my edition of that book. Good luck!

    in reply to: Bisbigliando #60359

    I’m so glad to read that Carl! I thought I was a dunce since I couldn’t do the 18 measures of 3 and 4 finger bisbigliandi in the harp part for Oklahoma Overture this past spring. I could do the 3 finger somewhat but it wasn’t as even as I wanted it to be; the 4 finger was a first inversion chord. Bleh!

    in reply to: question about high humidity #77028

    To answer your question Sherri, yes. As the humidity comes down, your harps wood contracts causing more tension on the strings thus breaking (just as the humidity goes up the wood expands causing the harp to go flat). Do you have a hygrometer in the house? Just because it’s 75% outside doesn’t mean it ‘s that high indoors. Get one if you don’t already have one, they are inexpensive! Keep it near the harp if you can. Home Depot sells de-humidifiers. If your local store doesn’t have them you may get them on line. If you do purchase a de-humidifier, please don’t just plug it in and ignore it. Keep an eye on the hygrometer, it will take some fine tuning to get to the ideal level of humidity. I hope this helps!

    in reply to: Crashed and burned AND lived to tell about it. #62529

    Thanks Ellen, Kay and Gretchen. I know it’s all part of being a musician, but it really helps to hear encouragement from your peers! Gretchen, it is a lovely piece and will go in my gig book as solo (the accompaniment has enough melody to make up the whole piece with some simple re-writing) as well as duet.

    in reply to: Crashed and burned AND lived to tell about it. #62525

    Okay, it happened to me this past Sunday. I was asked to accompany the violin for a piece titled “Song From A Secret Garden” at Cathedral Of Hope. Reflecting on this embarrassing performance, I wanted it to be “perfect.” That caused anxiety. All it took was to miss one chord and my brain froze, insisting on playing the same chord over and over until it worked. Finally I stopped and regrouped. The rest went pretty well but I can see hands shaking a little in the video. It seems that the mistake went on for a whole page but in fact, it was just a couple of measures. Anyway, the second service went very well, no mistakes but OF COURSE the first service is what went on line! Here is the link to the full service. It is the prelude to service and starts about 1minute after the video starts. Sorry I don’t know how to capture just a segment to post here….
    http://www2.cathedralofhope.com/worship/2013worship/110-2013-june/2238-june-30-service
    Sid

    in reply to: Trembling Hands #62625

    It could still be nervousness. Especially if you don’t feel confident enough with the piece you are playing. This is discussed in Dr. Carrol McLaughlin’s book, “Power Performance.” This book helped me out a lot with the shaking and taught me how to practice more effectively to boot. Of course I still take half a beta blocker from time to time, but thats only because I don’t implement what this book has suggested. Like you, I can sing, dance and speak in public without a worry but put me on the harp and nerves will kick. Hope this helps you too! Think you can find a copy of this on Amazon as well as Lyon and Healy web sites.

    in reply to: Lights in the Piazza #61682

    I know that David Ice played this musical. I recall him saying that it was a lot of pedal work. Hopefully he will see this post and chime in!

    in reply to: Josh Groban’s “You raise me up.” #61629

    Try looking at virtualshhetmusic.com

    in reply to: Harp/Violin music #61623

    I use the Brock arrangements a lot. My partner plays violin and we have had some trouble finding music written for harp and violin (it seems when there is such music, it’s for advanced harpists.)

    in reply to: ?? #76745

    Hmmm, the 14, 15 and 18 both had 42 strings. The 12 had 41 strings.The original style 11 has 47 strings and still does today. Unlesss it was a special build perhaps?
    Sid

    in reply to: suggestions for a masterclass about weddings #145180

    Contact Kimbely or Hugh witht the Harp Column, there was an article in the past two years that had a nice example of a contract.

    in reply to: Halloween music #155552

    *scream* forget Nightmare Before Christmas! I just found my copy and played through it again. I forgot about all the pedal changes and harmonics I had to do to make it work! Sorry I threw that one out there.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 362 total)