Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Sid Humphreys
MemberJohn Doe! Where have you been???
Sid Humphreys
MemberAndy,
If you please, give me (email)
Sid Humphreys
MemberI’d love to meet Andy, Carl
Sid Humphreys
MemberI started out playing the piano, picked up the saxaphone in Jr. High (sopranno, alto,and tenor), tampered with the flute. The pedal harp is now my primary instrument ( I chose a harp because I didn’t have room for a piano!). I now sing 2nd bass with Resounding Harmony and White Rock Community Church. There is a cello in my living room that I thought would be fun to learn but all I seem to do with it is tune it, then put it down!
Sid
Sid Humphreys
MemberYeah, don’t mess with it, you’ll need that calous if you keep doing glissandos. If you like, look in to getting some felt picks for practice while it heals a bit.
Sid Humphreys
Memberlol, I went to the first one Barbara (not knowing of the correction). Wasn’t too frustrated though as I’m a hairdresser!
Sid Humphreys
Memberokay, the “counseling” statement was a bit harsh. Sorry I chose that statement, let’s say I’m jealous of those that are able to commit that much time to something I so love!
Sid
Sid Humphreys
MemberYou know, I would so like to lie and say I practice two hours a day. But I’ll be honest. I have a professional career outside of the harp. I’m doing good to practice 45 minutes a day. There have been a few threads on this site about
Sid Humphreys
MemberAs a teacher you can only ecourage. You may tell the student of their potential but in the end the student alone makes the decission to concentrate on the harp, or baseball, or chemistry. Sometimes you, the teacher, will be dissapointed with a students decisssion so it’s important to celebrate the ones that choose to concentrate on the harp; even though they may not have the musical ability that will take them to win first place in a national competition.
December 8, 2008 at 9:52 pm in reply to: Help please ! Im a beginner harpist and need help tuning my harp #161991Sid Humphreys
MemberIt’s easy., all the red strings are C and the black (or dk blue) strings are F. If you’re tuned in E flat then all the B’s, E’s and A’s are flat. Does this help?
Sid
Sid Humphreys
MemberBrandon, it’s true that there are more female than there are male harpists. Don’t let that stop you though. If you want this, you will be great! I work in a fitness center with 67
Sid Humphreys
Member#%!* Don’t you hate it when that happens?
Sid Humphreys
MemberIda, yes my new rods do have the new couplings.
Mel, is that common to go through so many pedal rods?
I noticed after repairing my harp that the buzz
Sid Humphreys
MemberI do agree with Hannah. Covering your harp does very little to keep it warm, it doesn’t generate heat the way we humans do. Move it away form the window by several feet if you can. Also, after a year is normally when strings start to break. Get some new strings and (if you haven’t already) find a good time to relpace them. If you’re playing in the next few weeks just replace the ones you have to. What I do is write the date on the ziplock that the string comes in so I know how new or old that one is. If you don’t have a performance for at least a month then take some time every evening to relpace an octives worth of strings. This way you’re not overwhelmed with a big job to do at once. Remember that the new strings will go flat frequently for a while.It takes me about two weeks before new string hold their tune well enough for my taste.
Sid
Sid Humphreys
MemberAnna,
Strings need to be replaced at least once a year as they get worn and break or go “false”. Not knowing the enviroment where you live I think you should contact Lyon and Healy (or your harp instructor) to find out if nylon or gut would be better for you.Take my advice and get the best strings that you can afford, your harp will sound better for it. Hope this helps!
Sid
-
AuthorPosts