Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Sid Humphreys
MemberDonna. I just got off the phone with Anderson Insurance. The insured price can be what ever you want with them. Many people today who have gold harps are insuring for the price of a new natural finish. If anything happens to their gold harps, they would rather replace with a less fussy finish. Do you get where I’m going with this? You may insure your harp for less than the cost of a new replacement with Anderson.
September 27, 2013 at 1:47 pm in reply to: The most beautiful harp ever built is up for sale! #77437Sid Humphreys
MemberI LOVE that harp Carl!
Sid Humphreys
MemberYes, it means you need a vacation. Get away from the house and the harp for a week. You’ll come back refreshed.
Sid Humphreys
MemberTracey, Lyon and Healy has the ebony and bronze 23 on their site now. Lyon and Healy, not harp.com.
Sid Humphreys
MemberI saved up $1000 dollars back in 1992 and used that as a down payment on a Salvi Daphne. I think my payments were $150 a month. I found myself in Las Vegas a year later on a weekend vacation and gave myself $25 to play slots (I don’t gamble but there was peer pressure from friends to gamble somewhat). With that $25, I made $4500 (as soon as I won, I stopped playing). I used that to pay off my Daphne! Six months later, I went to Chicago and traded in my Daphne for an ebony and bronze 23. I had just finished paying off my car… so it was like still having a car payment, but at least my pocket book was used to that kind of money going out every month. Now… I don’t suggest ANYONE go out and gamble!! That is too risky and most wind up in deeper dept because of that. I just got lucky.
Sid Humphreys
MemberI see your point Kreig, it can be counter-productive to introduce a whole new model harp, at least from a Board of Director’s point. But this was supposed to be a “special harp.” In fact, they only really needed to make one. Back in the day, (every year) L&H’s best workmen were given carte blanche to produce a one and only harp design. Not that they should still do this every year, but for a milestone like this, it would create excitement.
I don’t know how many of these special harps there are out there and it would be great if some were found and picture were posted!Sid Humphreys
MemberThis is what I remember the 85 series looking like back in the 90’s, before they were doing the fluted column. The base is the same as the 100… yeah, I’m a little disappointed that they didn’t come up with a new and unique design for the anniversary.
Sid Humphreys
MemberI don’t wear any jewelry while playing. I used to put my ring in my gig bag, like you, but one time my bag was kicked over (in the orchestra pit) and things fell out including my ring. Nothing was lost thank Goodness. Now I leave my watch and ring at home. There is also one nice gouge in the column of my harp where my ring dug in to it while loading in my car a few years ago (another good reason not to wear bling while playing). If a student comes in for a lesson with any jewelry they must also remove it.
Sid Humphreys
MemberJimmy,
You may need a pick up mike for your tuner. If you have an iPhone you can get the Peterson Tuner ap. It’s something like $9.00 if memory serves. You will still need the pick up and an adapter for that as well but it’s worth the cost.
If you need your harp regulated, and don’t want to wait for Peter Wiley to come through the area, David Williams doesn’t live far from you, he can do a fine job regulating your harp.Sid Humphreys
MemberLOL @ Gretchen! I thought maybe you were referring to a lever harp which you would tune in natural!
Sid Humphreys
Member@ Sonya Wiley- If he tunes in natural there will be broken strings because of the stress from the tuning pin rubbing up and down on the string.
Sid Humphreys
MemberAways tune the pedal harp in flats! To tune while in natural or sharp will weaken the strings at the disk and they will break rather quickly.
Don’t be discouraged that it needs to be tuned again very quickly (like in 15 minutes to an hour) while the harp and strings are new. This is normal. Push in on the tuning pin while tuning and this will help the pin to stabilize. After a week or so, you will notice that the harp is holding tune. Don’t stop tuning at that point. Tune every time you sit down to play. Harps that aren’t kept in tune don’t hold pitch as well as those that are kept to pitch. This will also train your ear to hearing the correct notes.Sid Humphreys
MemberIt is Kay.
😉Sid Humphreys
MemberWhat about looking inside the bottom of the base? Does it remove the same way modern harps do? I know the serial number on my L&H is stamped inside there as well. What a cool mystery you have there!!
Sid Humphreys
MemberI once fit my Daphne 40 pedal harp in my 2 door Nissan Sentra. Where there is a will, there is a way!
-
AuthorPosts