Halloween music

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    Gretchen Cover on #155544

I have been asked to play at a musician’s fund raiser Oct. 28. The theme is Halloween music. I am playing “Hedwig’s Theme” from Harry Potter

patricia-jaeger on #155545

In the Hall of the Mountain King-Grieg.

Danse Macabre- Saint-Saens

Music from “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice”- Dukas

“The Teddy Bears’ Picnic” (watch and listen on You Tube”)

You could arrange the spooky bits from pieces like this and make a medley, perhaps, with added sound effects of your choosing, including swooshes on your bass wires. Consider paper woven between the strings. Bring along a small mallet-played wooden toy; small blown instrument like ocarina, etc. Have great fun! Record it to save for next time!

Spectator
    alice-freeman on #155546

Mitch Landy has a whole book of “Spooky Tunes – Suite for Lever Harp, Opus 18” that are cute effects, but not familiar melodies. (http://www.harpguy.com/comp.html) — written for intermediate players

— Alice from windy Wyoming

Spectator
    alice-freeman on #155547

Melody’s has that book (the Suite)

helen-rudd on #155548

Rouet by Hasselmans has always sounded Halloweenish to me and is easy to play.

Participant
    Gretchen Cover on #155549

Thank you everyone for such great suggestions.

Spectator
    Sid Humphreys on #155550

I’ve played through “The Nightmare Before Christmas” collection, at least three are playable as harp solo. “Something’s Up With Jack” is my favorite but does better if you slow it down.

Participant
    Gretchen Cover on #155551

I went to Mitch Landy’s website, http://www.harpguy.com and found another great Halloween piece. It is Funeral March for a Dead Marionette, otherwise known to harpists older than 50 as the Alfred Hitchcock theme song.

Spectator
    Sid Humphreys on #155552

*scream* forget Nightmare Before Christmas! I just found my copy and played through it again. I forgot about all the pedal changes and harmonics I had to do to make it work! Sorry I threw that one out there.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.