harpcolumn

suggestions for a masterclass about weddings

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists suggestions for a masterclass about weddings

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    erin-wood
    Participant

Hello friendly harpists! I am putting together a studio class for my college age students about how to play weddings. They will each be playing a standard wedding piece and we will talk about contracts, bridal consultations, etc. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to email me a copy of their contract (kansasharpist at gmail dot com) so that I could have several different ones to show them. Also, do you have any suggestions of harpist’s websites that are really good. I would like them to see a variety of possibilities.

I read this article about the decline of the symphony orchestra and how music majors need to be more versatile and I am trying to be sure my students are prepared. The only thing I would add to this list is a class about taxes. I think that is one of my biggest challenges being a freelance musician!
    http://www.violinist.com/blog/Vinylinist/20129/13914/

stephen-vardy
    Participant

Anne Roos has wrote the definitive book on the topic.
    http://goo.gl/lyhF3

Any wedding harpist needs to read this one – includes contract hints

We use a different format as we do not use contracts.
    But you can get ideas.
    http://www.alisonvardy.com/terms-of-service.htm

Stephen

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Contact Kimbely or Hugh witht the Harp Column, there was an article in the past two years that had a nice example of a contract.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I would also like to suggest you teach your students about marketing/public relations

Sylvia Clark

Are you covering things like:

Different kinds of weddings-

erin-wood
    Participant

Thank you for all of your wonderful suggestions. I really appreciate it and my students will too!

Sylvia Clark

I’m wondering why more people did not reply.

Rachel
    Participant

I had a student be my page-turner for weddings so that she could observe and also servie a practicel function that was easy to explain to the couple

erin-wood
    Participant

The most standard set of songs that I find people choosing is:
    Jesu for the seating of the mothers
    Canon in D for the bridesmaids
    Wagner for the bride
    Mendelssohn or Trumpet Voluntary for the recessional

I always play lots of different options at a consultation and of course some people don’t want any of the standards but I find that these traditional songs account for the majority of the weddings I play. So I am having them start with those basics. That is interesting that you do so many Catholic weddings. I have only done a full mass a couple of times. I find that most people tend to use the church organist because it comes with the wedding package or something? Most of my weddings tend to be outdoors or not in a church. I love the idea of taking them to observe a wedding or having them turn pages for one. That would be great hands on experience.

Sylvia Clark

I agree with your list of standards.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Actually Erin, if a Catholic Church employs an organist and/or cantor, it is expected that the Church music fee be paid whether the organist plays at the wedding or not.
    If a harpist is wanted for the entire wedding in these Churches the bride must pay the standard Church music fee PLUS the harpist’s fee.
    I don’t know if this is customary everywhere but it is here in the NE US.
    I would guess a similar policy probably exists in other denominations as well, especially if the organist is a full time employee.

Sylvia Clark

I think that must depend on what part of the country you are in. I’ve played Catholic weddings for 30 years in South Texas, and no one has ever said they have to pay the church musician also…and I’m sure SOMEONE would have mentioned it if that were the case.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

I think it comes down to the policy of the specific church involved and the arrangement it has with its organist. Some do, some don’t. In some areas, perhaps it is more common.

onita-sanders
    Participant

I have been watching this forum with great interest. I am just thinking out loud. What ever happen to baptism by fire so to speak. There is nothing that difficult about playing a wedding ceremony. Granted the Catholic weddings I have played do have some interesting turns to the ceremony, but the organist has 99% of the time been there. When not, I mentioned to the the priest that I am not catholic and to just give me some cues.

In the area where I live, a Catholic wedding changes some depending upon the culture. For example, within the span of 14 days I played your catholic wedding, the kind

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies