Sid Humphreys

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 362 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Halloween music #155550

    I’ve played through “The Nightmare Before Christmas” collection, at least three are playable as harp solo. “Something’s Up With Jack” is my favorite but does better if you slow it down.

    in reply to: Help: Tuning Pins #155575

    Push the pin in while you tune. Sometimes, after changing the strring, they can loosen up a bit. Put a little muscle in it! ;-)

    Sid

    in reply to: diagram of harp parts #82650

    Hair extentions Saul?

    in reply to: Looking for harp scores #103220

    You can purchase the harp part from Lucks Music.

    in reply to: Day Licenses #145343

    I think it is up to the wedding coordinator to take care of this. If it’s needed at all as you are providing a service and not selling a good. But I should point out that you are taking a gig and making income. So now you are a business (un-incorporated business or at least an independent contractor)

    in reply to: Strange things people have called your harp #103232

    A few weeks ago, while loading up my harp in the carport, a girl stopped and asked if that was a cello.

    A few years earlier, a man asked me how long I had been playing the harpoon!

    Mike, don’t give yourself a bad attitude about restringing. I just did the top two octaves of my 23 the other night. I use gut string all the way ( I do like the ring that nylon gives in the top two octaves but I never can stabilize nylon strings in the upper

    Ah, thank you for that Peter, I’m sure Steve told me that but I was concentrating on 23’s and 100’s compared to 85’s.

    in reply to: The most idiotic comments at gigs #145817

    I once had a man ask me,”How long have you been playing the harpoon?” What’s scary is that he was well dressed and until that question, seemed to be educated!

    in reply to: Predatory competitor intervention #145854

    Has anyone had a talk with this woman yet?

    From what I understand (from a conversation with Steve Fritzman of L&H) the body of the L&H harps are the same (with the exception of style 30 and Salzedo which have different body shapes). The thing that is different are the columns. With that, the sound should be consistent from harp to harp. Still you need to try the individual harp before you decide. It is impossible to produce the exact same sound from harp to harp when you are building them no matter how much of the same parts you use. For example, you can go to 5 different hairdressers that studied at the same school to cut your hair into a classic bob. All 5 haircuts will have subtleties that make them unique to the individual that crafted it.

    More people have the Chicago and 85, so if you want to be more unique go for the 100. You should be pleased with any of these harps as far as sound is concerned!

    in reply to: Moving harp across the country #69429

    Contact the maker of the harp for moving instructions. It is worth the five minute phone call to avoid replacing your harp.

    in reply to: Moving out – tips for travelling w/ harp? #103529

    The shocks on the bed of a truck are not good! See my respose further down in this thread.

    in reply to: Moving out – tips for travelling w/ harp? #103528

    Along with what Andy said, the harps shipped all over the country are in boxes with fitted Styrofoam. I doubt you still have the container that your harp was shipped in. The bed of the truck will also be too bouncy for the harp, if you don’t believe me have a friend take you for a ride

    in reply to: Could anyone name this harp? #69729

    I agree, it appears to be the Salvi Apollo. What lends to the wonderful sound is the fact that the harp is very much in tune. So many harpists post video without carefully tuning. The tone of her playing in this video is also wonderful. This artist has done a great job preparing for this piece.

    A John also stated, the hall has contributed to the tone here. I personally experienced this natural amplification at the Interfaith Peace Chapel here in Dallas. It really sounded like the harp was amplified!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 362 total)