sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Please help me think clearly… #156425
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Look at the kits on the Musicmakers website, and listen to the tone of the Smartwood harp.

    in reply to: Harp ‘handle’? #70444
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    There is a Style 30 on one of the used harp sites, an older one with a squared back, and it has a wooden handle, very plain, in keeping with the appearance of the rest of the harp.

    Some of the handles I’ve seen are very ornate, sort of matching the decoration of the rest of the harp.

    in reply to: Church solo suggestions #156390
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    As I was thinking about the pieces that were mentioned I remembered an old rule that someone gave me about choosing instrumental pieces for use during worship. The rule was, “Don’t ever play something they can hum”, the point being that if you’re supposed to be doing something for contemplation or setting a mood, the congregation shouldn’t be hearing something they recognize.

    Not really and truly a hard and fast rule, but worth a bit of thought.

    in reply to: Church solo suggestions #156388
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I would use the Salzedo arrangement of “I Wonder As I Wander” in a Lenten service without hesitation. If your pastor would enclose a quarter sheet in the bulletin with a copy of the entire text, your contribution could generate plenty of discussion about the life of Christ.

    I’d do it.

    in reply to: New or Used Harp? #70454
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I know that Camac in France has a pre-owned set-up, so you’d want to give that a look.

    I am a former woodwind player, and I always preferred new, but in strings, I really prefer pre-used.

    I bought a wonderful little pre-used harp from Lyon and Healy that has been the perfect instrument since I got it, so if I were looking again, I’d be looking at pre-used first.

    in reply to: Update on Basel #103910
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    No one can take away what is most important, your value as a human being and your passion for your music and for those dear to you.

    Music will always be yours, in your heart, as a comfort in the worst trouble.

    Those of us who have followed the terrible events that have befallen you are feeling the geatest relief that you and your dear ones are in safety.

    In the worst of situations, harps and music copies can be restored or replaced, and we will all be praying that the time will soon come again when we can be sharing stories about all of the musical things we love.

    Courage, and solace in the encouragement that we are all thinking of you and hoping for the best.

    in reply to: Bax: Concerto for Flute, Oboe and Harp #146448
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    The harpist was Elaine Christy.

    in reply to: Bax: Concerto for Flute, Oboe and Harp #146447
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I believe it was played in the NY area just last Sunday.

    in reply to: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2012 #103978
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I’m looking around for a small landscape of a well trampled path so I can give myself a nonverbal reinforcement of Kay’s terrific imagery every time I sit down to practice.

    in reply to: Need input about audition materials #104543
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Thank you so much for your response! I study weekly with a wonderful harpist and teacher, and she and I have chosen a couple things which I am working on.

    What I need is a sense of pieces that would not be overwhelming to my level of playing but would still display a sense of seriousness of purpose and dedication to the challenge.

    I’m just finishing Bochsa’s Fifty Progressive Exercizes, second volume, and plan to use #48 as an etude. Would this seem embarrassingly simple and therefore not appropriate to bring to an audition?

    in reply to: Unfinished measure #146589
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Carl, I think the reason may just be the imposing of mathematical values onto music. It makes everything mathematically tidy if all the measures tally up to the time signature. Just my guess.

    in reply to: Unfinished measure #146588
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Crusic and anacrusic. I think it has something to do with that.

    Kay, Somewhere Over the Rainbow starts on the beat, but the phrase “Some day I’ll wish….doesn’t start on the beat.

    Maybe that’s why your piece was written out as it was. I’m not quite sure what you mean by “leaving the first measure incomplete” Could you describe how many beats are in the first measure?

    in reply to: 40 strings enough for pedal harp (for lightweights) #104286
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I’m sorry Kay, you know I’m a tech disaster. It was Nancy who helped me, so obviously there are two (or more) wonderful people at L&H!

    in reply to: 40 strings enough for pedal harp (for lightweights) #104282
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Hi Deb- PLEASE go with L&H! You have waited SO long for this to happen. Why saddle yoursel with someone ekse’s problems? My harp is one of the oldest I ever saw listed and it’s WONDERFUL!

    It was a terrific buy, and my teacher, who is used to playing Erards and great big Salvis, thinks it’s the nicest small harp she ever saw.

    The previously owned harps are all vetted before they are delivered, and as Kay so correctly said, the only difference between my harp and a brand new one was that someone else had played it in for me.

    I am going to my file cabinet to get the name of the terrific sales person who helped me with my purchase. She will play “your” harp and tell you all about it before you make the commitment to buy.

    I’ll post with her name in just a minute.

    in reply to: Music for Harp and Accordion #146627
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I guess the world divides into “lovers” and “haters”. I happen to fervently love the accordian. It was the instrument that the really popular and talented kids played when I was a kid, and it was possible to hear virtuoso performances on accordian in concert, and really often on tiny B&W TV screens.

    Maybe some of us should take on the task of writing some music for this combo.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 747 total)