sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2012 #104007
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My 2 heroes , Basil and Barbara Christensen! I had seen your name, Basil, on the posters list, amd only dared to hope that you were really signed on, and my own efforts just now at repertoire seem so insignificant, but seeing your post, Barbara, I know that I can still practice and hope!

    So to Basil, and Barbara, many many thanks for your inspiration and tenacity!

    in reply to: Bernard Andres compositions #103836
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    First, it is wonderful to see you posting again! Second, my heart is with you in your loss.

    You have picked a wonderfully ambitious program to start playing again. I wish I were equal to it.

    Still, with perserverence I may get to that Ceremony of Carols yet, if only at home with a CD player.

    Again, great to see you posting again!

    in reply to: Sibelius – files open, but the fonts are corrupted #146357
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Take a look at the Sibelius website. There have been problems with Sibelius being run on Macs, especially after some OS updates. I think remedies are available online.

    in reply to: Considering purchasing a 65-year-old LH 17, Gold #70077
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Although our stories are a little different in some of the details, many elements are the same.

    I bought a Wurlitzer C with its original straight soundboard almost two years ago. The risk factor was buying the harp with the original soundboard, but the confidence factor was buying it from Howard Bryan.

    I continue on the theory that as long as the harp, soundboard, and I continue to hold up, I’ll continue doing what I’m doing. When any of the three segments mentioned falls apart, I’ll re-evaluate.

    I hope you make a decision that gives you as much satisfaction as mine gives me.

    in reply to: Suggestion needed for Hebrew or Jewish melody #104086
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I truly appreciate the comments. They have been both helpful and enlightening. Also, the choral version of “Avinu Malkenu” on YouTube is beautifully done.

    I have realized that what I am actually needing is a phrase that could be chanted or spoken. The music is to memorialize the loss of a group of victims of a disaster, Jewish and Christian young people together during an unexpected catastrophic event. I originally considered using a fragment of familiar music, but now I have decided to use music that I have written if I can find meaningful phrases to honor the two traditions.

    The music has already been composed, and will accomodate a short phrase. Is there a line or statement from the prayer that accompanies the lighting of the Memorial Candle that might work?

    Thank you once again for responding to my request. The project I have undertaken is dear to my heart, and I am eager to honor the unfortunate young people appropriately.

    in reply to: Help! #146392
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Kay you might want to call a pharmacist to see if he has any glues that are designed specifically for healing wounds. They may be a little more expensive than Super Glue but a little more gentle to the skin.

    My teacher uses a technique similar to the one Carl has described, but I can never seem to fix the tape so that it doesn’t catch the string.

    If you attempt to use a glue, hold the slit together gently and paint the smallest amount over the top of the slit, then hold the slit closed gently so that the glue can take hold. If you get much of the glue into the slit, it can sting like purple blazes.

    Before bed, cover the wound with antibiotic jelled salve and bandage it. A lot of healing can occur during the night.

    I’ve had a split index finger for about 3 weeks. I get it almost closed, play for an hour and it opens again.

    Hope it’s much better soon!

    in reply to: Buying a Used Lap Harp…? #156315
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    If you love the harp, even from just seeing or hearing them, and you really want to play, you will want to buy that lap harp. Don’t buy it!

    RENT! Everything changes during the first year or two you play, and after that, and what you thought you wanted after you took your first lesson may be entirely different in 2 months or 6 months or a year.

    Unless you want too many harps, rent and wait, and enjoy the process.

    in reply to: Lyon and Healy Washburn Style G 800 #69960
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Lyon and Healy is still very proud of their old instruments, so if they know anything about your harp they’ll probably tell you.

    The Washburn line was produced by L&H in the early 1900’s. You can find some info about them by googling. There is at least one thread by Sam Milligan here about them. There is also a book by Dr. Rosalind Rensch that may have some more info for you.

    I think they were built as a harp to be sold in large stores for students and hobbyists, and since learning the harp was considered a sign of polish and refinement at the time, they were probably solid student instruments.

    Hopefully you have a good harp repair person available to give it a good thorough going over for you. I hope you get lots of good playing out of it.

    in reply to: Alice Parker Melodius Accord #145697
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    There are some things on YouTube that might be of help. Alice Parker is a wonderful musician.

    in reply to: Bochsa/Hasslemans Etudes #146462
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Would it be a good project for a college student to catalogue all of Bochsa’s works correctly? I have two relatively expensive sets of Bochsa etudes that I bought because the sets I wanted were apparently not assigned opus numbers.

    It seems that there are more “unassigned” pieces out there, so a re-cataloguing would be both a good learning/research experience for a student and also a useful one for students and teachers.

    in reply to: Wurlitzer on e-bay #104349
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Just in case there’s anyone who hasn’t seen it, there’s a Wurlitzer Pedal Harp site online that has some good pictures and small articles about the harps and their history.

    Google “Wurlitzer Pedal Harps” and it will come right up

    in reply to: Wurlitzer on e-bay #104338
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I don’t have an eBay account, but I’d love to know the serial number.

    in reply to: looking for . . . #146503
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Kay have you looked at Sam Milligan’s Fun From the First??

    in reply to: Choosing wood for lever harp #70296
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I played a Koa Thormahlen Swan and a Koa Dusty FH 34 last year at Somerset, and they were both gorgeous. I love Koa and Bubinga.

    in reply to: Clean Harp? #70376
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I use a dry microfiber cloth designated for use on fine furniture, Works great.

    I wold never touch the gilding and I’d never use spray.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 747 total)