column

Need input about audition materials

Home Forums Coffee Break Need input about audition materials

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

I am in a situation in which I need to audition for a college program. The program requires an instrumental or vocal audition even for students who will have no reason to play the instrument on which they audition.

I would like your suggestions about audition pieces on the simpler end of the audition spectrum. I have a few suggestions from the college handbook, but I’d like your ideas for some more.

Also, I have about five months to work on the audition materials but I’m fairly sure I won’t be able to play the audition pieces at their expected tempos. I don’t want the audition judges to think I’m a Florence Foster Jenkins of the harp. The fact is I’m as serious as death about this, and I don’t want my slow tempos to cause me to lose credibility for what I’m actually hoping to study.

I will contact the college about this but I was hoping for some input here first. Thank you!

Sherry, since you are quite serious about taking this audition, and luckily have five months before the event, please make the investment in five months of lessons with a degreed harp teacher who is familiar with the literature they are asking you to play. He or she will have the necessary harp

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Thank you so much for your response! I study weekly with a wonderful harpist and teacher, and she and I have chosen a couple things which I am working on.

What I need is a sense of pieces that would not be overwhelming to my level of playing but would still display a sense of seriousness of purpose and dedication to the challenge.

I’m just finishing Bochsa’s Fifty Progressive Exercizes, second volume, and plan to use #48 as an etude. Would this seem embarrassingly simple and therefore not appropriate to bring to an audition?

Sherry,

Hoave you touched based personally with the music department?

Tacye
    Participant

From what I know of auditions most would prefer you to play something really beautifully and musically rather than anything where technical struggles are apparent.

About your question whether No. 48 in Boscha Op. 34 Bk 2

A beautiful piece is Berceuse Russe by Tournier. It’s only three pages long, not too difficult, and is a good way to show your musicality.

Also, Promenade by Damase and Pastorale by Grandjany.

One etude is good if you do it well and at a good tempo, and musically. They may also want to hear you play a scale.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.