Seoid OC

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: She moved through the Fair #151324
    Seoid OC
    Participant

    This song is actually fairly common for weddings in Ireland but just the three verses above should be enough.
    I’ve heard it many, many times and never knew it was about a lover who died.

    in reply to: Salvi Petit Diana or Angelica? #72846
    Seoid OC
    Participant

    I think it was a sort of little sister to the Salvi Diana – it’s a semi-grand with 46 strings but looks(? and sounds?) like a Diana.

    in reply to: Salvi Petit Diana or Angelica? #72844
    Seoid OC
    Participant

    Just wondering does anyone have any experience with the Salvi Petit Diana?

    in reply to: Need advice #166628
    Seoid OC
    Participant

    I’ve noticed some teachers (from the USA) offering online classes, if you have the technology required – maybe you could look into this?

    in reply to: How old were you when you started playing the harp? #166199
    Seoid OC
    Participant

    I was 18 – nearly 19 – when I started playing (an 24 now) and am so jealous of all of you who got to start so young!

    in reply to: Flying with a lap harp #160973
    Seoid OC
    Participant

    I have a small harp similar to a harpsicle and managed to fly on three airlines ( two short haul, one long haul) recently without problems, though I may have just gotten lucky.

    in reply to: Instrument stores in Ireland that carry harps #109795
    Seoid OC
    Participant

    That’s too bad… it’s a pity that it’s so difficult to find a harp in this country where it’s supposed to be our national symbol!

    in reply to: Instrument stores in Ireland that carry harps #109793
    Seoid OC
    Participant

    I live in Dublin and as far as I know the only music shop that carrys harps is Waltons and they don’t have much of a selection – they have the pakistani rosewood harps and a couple of Camac, which I personally am not a fan of.

    in reply to: Edinburgh Festival #161048
    Seoid OC
    Participant

    I went last year without knowing anyone and had a brilliant time but sadly can’t afford it again this year….

    in reply to: Order of Repertoire for Examinations #86105
    Seoid OC
    Participant

    Maybe it depends on the student?

    I’m not a teacher or examiner so I can only speak from my own experiences of taking exams, not the impression it would give to the examiner.

    in reply to: Ems harps #161334
    Seoid OC
    Participant

    You may have got one already but if not, you should have a look at Salvi Harps.

    in reply to: How long to learn a new song? #161238
    Seoid OC
    Participant

    How long it takes to learn a piece depends on how hard the piece is and how polished I want it to be.

    in reply to: 16 year old, female. #161614
    Seoid OC
    Participant

    I’ll leave the musical advise to your teacher and others who know more than me but you also mentioned that you wanted to know some contemporary music that uses new harp music…. here are a few suggestions that jump to my mind.

    Savourna Stevenson (Scottish) – I love some of her music – some of it can be a little new agey though – and some of it is instrumental, some with a singer.

    Fitkin Wall – harp electronica (sort of)! The album Still Warm is a collaboration between Graham Fitkin (composer) and Ruth Wall (harpist) and they use lever harp, wire-strung and bray harps at different points.

    in reply to: Divided Interests, Divided Heart? #86274
    Seoid OC
    Participant

    I agree with harp guy!

    If you try to discourage a gifted student from focussing on any other interest besides the harp it might end up backfiring, especially if they are young – i.e. they might get fed up and give it up.

    in reply to: ? for the “nail” players #161284
    Seoid OC
    Participant

    I would suspect that they played in the old style (holding a cup shape not thumbs up) but just with very short fingernails because long fingernails were out of fashion by then and seen as barbaric.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)