Flying with a lap harp

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #160968

I think maybe there was a thread about this a while back but I can’t seem to find it.

Has anyone flown with their lap harps before and taken them as carry-on? I have a harpsicle, so supposedly it will fit in the overhead storage compartment, but will I have to hog a whole compartment and be super vigilant trying to stop people from putting luggage on top of my harp? How would this work exactly?

Participant
    dawn-penland on #160969

I know of a lady who bought a seat for her harp.

Participant
    michael-rockowitz on #160970

Laura,

Here are various google links to threads on harpcolumn re flying with a lap harp:

flying with lap harp

Michael

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #160971

The first thing you want to do is some research on the actual model of plane you will be flying on.

Participant
    unknown-user on #160972

Hi Laura

I have flown several times with my Brittany lap harp.

Participant
    Seoid OC on #160973

I have a small harp similar to a harpsicle and managed to fly on three airlines ( two short haul, one long haul) recently without problems, though I may have just gotten lucky.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #160974

The problem with them taking oversized cabin baggage and putting it in the hold is that you are in the exact same pickle as if you had shipped the harp to begin with…only WITHOUT the hard case and extra protection you would have used if you’d been planning to ship it as baggage.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.