harpcolumn

How old were you when you started playing the harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists How old were you when you started playing the harp?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author

I was nearly 16. If you are thinking about starting, start as young as you can with the best teacher you can find.

HBrock25
    Participant

I started when I was around 11. I just turned 12, and I’m playing the song, The Minstrel’s Adieu to His Native Land. It’s a really nice piece, and you should listen to it.

Seoid OC
    Participant

I was 18 – nearly 19 – when I started playing (an 24 now) and am so jealous of all of you who got to start so young!

unknown-user
    Participant

I was 15 when my twin sister and I first started lessons with a harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

I started when I was 9, and I agree with Saul. Start with the best teacher that you can find/will accept you.

unknown-user
    Participant

From a rather older young harper.

kimberly-houser
    Participant

I started when I was eight.

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

I started when I had just turned 20, and am now 21, halfway to 22. I had no musical background when I started, but I had always wanted to play the harp so badly. Unfortunately, I live in Norway and there are precious few harpists in this country. So there was no opportunity for me to learn when I was younger, and eventually I just let it go. But then right after my wedding (when I was 20) I suddenly started thinking about it again, after talking to a harpist about the possibility of her playing at the wedding, but in the end, we couldn’t afford it. But it got me thinking, and before I knew it, my husband had bought me a cheap Paki harp from ebay. It turned out to be of really bad quality (of course, I found out later that Paki harps are prone to such), and I saved up for a better and bigger lever harp.
    It took me 1 1/2 year to find a harp teacher, but since January this year I’ve been taking some much needed lessons. I find that I am improving rapidly with my teacher’s help, even though I only have one lesson a month. I’m so glad I found her! My passion for harp-playing has only increased since I started playing, and though I realise I could probably never be a professional (it’s too late for that), I still want to do my best and maybe some day do a little freelancing, playing in weddings and parties etc.
    Sorry, that post turned out a little longer than I intended.

unknown-user
    Participant

I started when i was in fourth grade, when i was nine…and now i am going into eleventh grade, turning sixteen!! So i have played for almost 7 years…ahh that went by so fast:D haha

Suzie Q
    Participant

I started on lever harp when I was 13…but I’d had 4 years of piano instruction at that time. After a year, I moved up to a pedal harp, and I’m now 15, and also continuing piano. (I have to say though, telling people I play harp sounds a lot cooler.) For now, harp for 2 years, piano for 6. 🙂

Diane S
    Participant

I started playing the harp six weeks ago at the age of 53!

Oh no you’re not (one of the oldest harpists here)….not at all. I think it’s great you just started this, and it’ll be great fun, and a lot of hard work. Enjoy!

Briggsie

HBrock25
    Participant

I was 5 when I began playing the harp and then began piano lessons at age 13.

Rachel Hall
    Participant

I received a folk harp for Christmas when I was 5. I joined a harp ensemble, but didn’t start formal lessons until I was ten.

phoebe-powell
    Participant

I started playing the Celtic Harp when I was 10, but I had already been playing the piano for 3 years, and I found that I picked up the harp extremely quickly because of that. I had one lesson at the begining and from then one was pretty much self taught until a year later, when I started taking lessons with another self taught harpist. I didn’t start proper technique until I was 12 1/2. So, I’ve only had a very solid technique for 4 years. Now, I’m working on my Gr. 10 and the OSM Standard life competition! I absolutely love to play my harp. It has become so much of my life that I couldn’t see my life without it. What a gift from God the harp is!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies