harpcolumn

Instrument stores in Ireland that carry harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Instrument stores in Ireland that carry harps

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Where can I find a harp in Dublin or Galway? I’m going on a two-week study trip with my Irish (Gaelic) class soon, and we will be spending a day each in Dublin and in Galway. Does anyone know if there are any shops in either city that carries harps? I’m not looking to buy one on the trip, but I would love to see some different harps and maybe try out a few since I’m going to save up for a new one. Plus I can’t imagine going two weeks without touching a harp…

Thanks for any input 🙂

Renate, it has been 25 years since I was in Dublin, and that time it was

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Thanks! Actually, I went to their website (www.waltons.ie) and found that they do have some harps, although it looks like they’re limited to Camac harps and pakis… I’ve never tried a Camac, but I’m not touching the pakis. But I’ll drop by anyway, I like the look of the Korrigan.
    Any other tips?

Seoid OC
    Participant

I live in Dublin and as far as I know the only music shop that carrys harps is Waltons and they don’t have much of a selection – they have the pakistani rosewood harps and a couple of Camac, which I personally am not a fan of.

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Thank you, Seoid!

Actually I’m already home from my trip to Ireland, which was sadly
    harp-less… All I found were cheap pakis. Otherwise it was both fun and tiring, what with all the studying we did. But I survived, and am
    back home with my harp once more. I find my fingertips went sore after
    only about 45 minutes of playing, though, so I’ll need to build the
    callouses up again. But with Easter here I’ll have lots of time for my harp.

Seoid OC
    Participant

That’s too bad… it’s a pity that it’s so difficult to find a harp in this country where it’s supposed to be our national symbol!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.