paul-wren

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Weirdest Wedding Processional Request #106341
    paul-wren
    Participant

    Janelle, do you have to play Bella’s Lullaby?

    in reply to: Debussy Danses New Pedalling! #83893
    paul-wren
    Participant

    There are so many recordings of this out there, I am just wanting an opinion from anyone that cares to respond: What do you think the best recording of this piece

    in reply to: Debussy Danses New Pedalling! #84606
    paul-wren
    Participant

    There are so many recordings of this out there, I am just wanting an opinion from anyone that cares to respond: What do you think the best recording of this piece

    in reply to: Debussy Danses New Pedalling! #85116
    paul-wren
    Participant

    There are so many recordings of this out there, I am just wanting an opinion from anyone that cares to respond: What do you think the best recording of this piece

    in reply to: Weirdest Wedding Processional Request #106326
    paul-wren
    Participant

    Speaking of You Tube. I had one bride decided she had changed her mind one week before her wedding on what she wanted to walk too and sent me a link of Isabelle Moretti playing Asturias. Yikes!

    The opening lyrics of My Immortal is mostly about wishing someone would just leave.

    in reply to: Weirdest Wedding Processional Request #106323
    paul-wren
    Participant

    Well with wedding season 2010 well under way. I had three this past weekend and this year seems to be the year of strange request for me.

    in reply to: Protecting hardwood floors from harp #150246
    paul-wren
    Participant

    Check out your local office supply store. I also have the hand scraped oak.

    in reply to: Mahler 3rd #150303
    paul-wren
    Participant

    Thanks Elizabeth! I found that it is playable as written, but I heard from someone else that it is common to gliss these bars and conductors do usually ask that they do gliss.

    in reply to: Gig seating with back support #150347
    paul-wren
    Participant

    I should also add that there are different styles of Ergo Riders, and some are much less than the 741. Also, some go lower than others. If you are interested in getting one of these, make sure it can go low enough for you. I’m quite tall, so that was one thing I really looked for.

    in reply to: Gig seating with back support #150346
    paul-wren
    Participant

    Dorian, check out the Tama Ergo Riders. Very comfortable and they also have a back support that you can buy. The back support fits all Ergo Riders.

    I

    in reply to: A very sad note today #150371
    paul-wren
    Participant

    I first got to meet Ms. Palmer at the National Conferance in Tempe AZ. I was a student at the time and studing Compostion. My teacher introduced me to her and she actually sat down with me on day and I played a piece that I had been working on. It was great. I had my own lil harp composing lesson with her.

    I saw her at a later conferences and she

    in reply to: Burgandy vs Bow Strings, or other #74417
    paul-wren
    Participant

    I have to say that I dont like the Burgandy and wont even waste my money on them.

    I have never bought Pirastro’s because of the cost of them, but have heard many harpist that have Salvi harps just love them. Maybe because of the tension.

    in reply to: Burgandy vs Bow Strings, or other #74411
    paul-wren
    Participant

    I have never understood what the difference between Bow and Burandy was…. they are both Bow Brand strings. Maybe the only real difference is the price??

    Vanderbilt classics are good strings and yes a good bang for the buck! I keep a full set of Vanderbilt for replacements.

    in reply to: Following the conductor #150411
    paul-wren
    Participant

    I agree with Louise. It will take some time. One thing that might help, when I get hired to play and I am not familir with the conductor. I find out what time he is conducting in. Even though I may have played a work before, I have found that not all conductors will lead a piece in the same time. So find out at each time signature, what the they are conducting in.

    Anothing good thing to learn is what does their down beat look like and get use to it. One thing I have noticed is the beat 2, 3 or 4 can be all over the place, but the down beat always seems to be consistant.

    When you are playing or rehearsing to a recording, listen for other instrument cues that will help you, who else is playing when you are playing? Learn to listen to that instrument and play along as almost playing as a duet.

    Listening is so key to playing well in the orchestra. Do not rely on the conductor all the time and if you have any cues in your music for other instruments, don’t always rely on those either. Listen and mark your own cues.

    I really hate the cues they give you in orch music, half the time you can’t hear that instrument and there will be a completely different instrument playing solo.

    You are part of a wonderful ensemble and play as such, listen to eveything going on around you and know you music.

    One note to be aware of, some players might be having trouble as well. Know when they are messing up. If you think they are right, that can screw you up big time. I had that happen with me recently and it really messed me up thinking they were right on when they were late coming in. The conductor never corrected it in the rehearsal.

    That is great that the conductor is willing to work with you. Ask if he can make copies of the score where you play, studying those parts can help you understand what else is going on at that time.

    in reply to: What do you all use for harp seats? #74258
    paul-wren
    Participant

    Hi Barbara, I just got one of these TAMA Ergo_Riders and I just love it! TAMA also came out with a back rest which I have on order. I hope that it will be helpfull with long practice sessions!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 96 total)