paul-wren

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Help, I’m stuck in by harp! #164172
    paul-wren
    Participant

    If you want a easier version, Daniel Burton did an arrangment for Flute and Harp that I am sure the violin could play. I think it is in Book 5 of Flute and Harp pieces.

    in reply to: Encounters with Famous people #103064
    paul-wren
    Participant

    Opps, that should be Klaus Tennstedt, not Otto, I was listening to the radio and hear his name and typed it. One track here.

    in reply to: Encounters with Famous people #103063
    paul-wren
    Participant

    I worked many years for an airline at the gate and came across so many I could not name them all. But the

    in reply to: Playing the Harp in Movies #111205
    paul-wren
    Participant

    Isn’t there a scene in The Human Comedy where Fay Bainter plays a harp in her home?

    in reply to: Clunkers we have known and loved…. #107552
    paul-wren
    Participant

    A clunker that I knew and ‘hated” was a harp own by the school. This harp was assigned to me while in school. Even though I owned a harp at the time, we were required to sign in and pratice at school for so many hours a day. I was assigned a room and harp. Ugh, what a piece of crap that thing was. Some of the disc in the wires strings would not turn all the way and you would get the most god awful booooooooonnnnnnngggggggggggggggg when it was in a bad position. I begged to have the harp worked on, but was not in the schools budget. Besides the wires, all of the other strings were nylon, the middle section was completely dead.

    in reply to: Stealing Students #88019
    paul-wren
    Participant

    Way back when I was in school, I was approched by another harp teacher, promising a scholarship as well.

    in reply to: Harp Dog #162287
    paul-wren
    Participant

    Amy, I took your suggestion to a friend of mine who runs a kennel, mostly Terriers! I sent her a CD and she called me last Sunday to tell how amazing it was! She said she had to check on the dogs several times during the day to make sure they were ok! They were so quiet and relaxed! She said that listening to the harp music has inspired her to start oil painting again as well!

    in reply to: Harp Dog #162273
    paul-wren
    Participant

    To add to my post, One of my four dogs, Max, is an English Springer Span,

    in reply to: Harp Dog #162264
    paul-wren
    Participant

    I use to have the most hyper weimeriner in all the world, but when I sat down to practice, she would come in, find a place, lay down, and start snoring.

    I now have 4 dogs! ugh! I love em all. When I get home and feed them, they are so excited and jumping all over the place. They play with each other and make all kinds of noise.

    I will sit to practice, about after 2 hours. I quit. The house is silent! I look and all four are near by sleeping or just laid out totally relaxed.

    I hope that is a

    in reply to: Studying harp in orchestra #145050
    paul-wren
    Participant

    Very good Esmeralda!

    I have been placed all over the stage. Once even between the 2nd violins and the violas! To be honest, I loved it! I could hear everything. The woodwinds didn’t like it. But I do perfer the conducters left, just behind the 2nd violins if I can get in there. Many times the percussion push me more towards behind the 1st violins. At that angle, many times the spotlights are too bright and when you take a glimpse at the strings, they are washed out.

    I will always memorize entrances and passages where the conductor is slowing or speeding up, just so I can watch him. I will also mark the music with a red pencil, so my eyes will find the place where I need to be after watching the conductor.

    I have had conductors tell me,”oh you dont need to be there till closer to the perforamance” , I just say thank you, but I prefer to be there as much as you will allow me to. You can work or phraseing all day long, but if the conductor is doing something totaly different than what you are use to, it can really throw you off. I just did the Franck Sym in D last weekend. My fifth time to do it and no two conductors have done it the same!

    I have had some really bad conductors, one that yelled at everyone, me included. But for the most part I find that most conductors are not so bad, they just do not regconize the harp as being an important part of the orchestra, so they ignore us.

    in reply to: What I hate about being a harpist #105203
    paul-wren
    Participant

    I’m with you, trying to open a can of soda! Ugh! I hate that. And the price for everything has just gone thru the roof! Strings included! We are harpists, not millionaires!

    in reply to: Renie Trio for Harp, Violin, and Cello #151460
    paul-wren
    Participant

    Thanks, I was doing some searching last night and found it in the Theo Presser site, I ordered it, just waiting for the email that tells me is in out of print.

    in reply to: Renie Trio for Harp, Violin, and Cello #151458
    paul-wren
    Participant

    Thanks so much Lynne. I would be willing to track this down if you could advance me the publshr information.

    in reply to: The best harp player #105443
    paul-wren
    Participant

    if I were, it’s a surprise to me!

    in reply to: The best harp player #105440
    paul-wren
    Participant

    I totally agree.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)