catherine-rogers

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 584 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Handel Passacalgia #151575
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Saul, how did you find this out? I have searched for more information on Tiny Beon but haven’t been able to find anything. I’d like to know more about her life and career.

    in reply to: Two harp positioning in orchestra #151149
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    “Inside” and “outside” are relative depending on whether the conductor wants the harps stage right or stage left. I’ve most often seen the second harpist on the first harpist’s right for the reasons given above.

    in reply to: Who is John Doe, vote now! #109995
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Mel, “Noises Off” is a farce about the on-stage and back-stage antics of a theater group. One of the props in the play is a plate of sardines which is constantly mishandled and mislaid. If you ever have a chance to see the show, it’s incredibly funny.

    in reply to: looking to buy a harp… #161127
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I believe the 2010 conference is June 30-July 6. Check http://www.harpsociety.org for more information.

    in reply to: Diagram for Pedals??? #110030
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Carl, why did the manufacturers do that? Was there a technical advantage?

    in reply to: If money was no object I would buy…. #102335
    catherine-rogers
    Participant
    in reply to: Harp hurting collar bone #161224
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    The harp should not be resting on your collar bone but on your shoulder. Next time you see your daughter’s teacher, ask her to show you how you should be sitting.

    in reply to: How to play with flat palm? #86148
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    That’s a Salvi Arianna concert grand, and yes, she does appear to be rather tall.

    I watched part of some of the other videos. Her delivery sounds like she’s speaking “off the cuff” rather than from a script. Among other things, she said Salvi and Lyon & Healy have been building harps for 150 years. That’s incorrect. Lyon & Healy built their first harp in 1889 and Salvi in 1954.

    Many of us occasionally have posted information we thought was accurate and have recanted when we found we were wrong. It seems careless to make “instructional videos” with misinformation which can be so easily checked. Just my opinion, which is not worth much.

    in reply to: 44 Strings Extended or 46 String Straight? #75011
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I agree your daughter should play the harps if possible. However, it also depends on the music she wants to play. There are some pieces which require bass notes not available on the Clio so you have to either omit them or play them an octave higher (not always possible). One example is “La Source” by Hasselmans. If her teacher doesn’t plan to assign works like that, no problem.

    Also consider how tall she may become. She’s still growing at age 11. If her parents are each 5′ 7″ or taller, she may be that or taller, and she may eventually find a Clio too small for comfort, if the harp you buy now will be her only one. Is she tall enough now to comfortably play a larger harp? What does her teacher advise? On the other hand, a 44-string harp may satisfy any need she will ever have.

    I’m not trying to talk you out of any particular harp. All three you mentioned are fine instruments. I own and use both a Clio and a concert grand. Everyone’s needs are different.

    in reply to: pedal diagrams #86055
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Carl, who carries your arrangement of Une Chatelaine en sa Tour?

    in reply to: pedal diagrams #86050
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I think most people prefer to write in their own pedals, if you mean markings like Ab or F#, as opposed to pedal diagrams, which look something like a railroad track with vertical marks showing the actual pedal positions. (I tried to illustrate but it didn’t line up properly when I previewed it.)

    Many people like the pedals marked below the staff. I wouldn’t put the diagrams in at all. But that’s just my preference. If you do put in pedal changes, please put right foot changes above left foot changes if they occur simultaneously.

    in reply to: showy harp concertos #165964
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    You may wish to consider William Alwyn’s harp concerto, “Lyra Angelica.”

    in reply to: meeting the posters of this forum #110151
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Saul’s is a great suggestion. If any of us can make it to the AHS conference next year in Seattle-Tacoma, we could set a time and place to meet for coffee or tea or something.

    in reply to: Dodgy String #161448
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Another consideration is if you play much outdoors. In areas with high humidity, the strings really take a beating over the course of a year and even break more often. I always change my strings after my outdoor season is over so the harp will sound its best for the holiday season.

    in reply to: Dodgy String #161445
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I believe the type of string also has something to do with it. I find gut strings wear (or at least show wear) faster than nylon, although either can be false. I find my (pedal) harps sound best with new strings, and a new set of base wires always improves the overall resonance. Perhaps the age of the instrument is also a factor. And everyone’s aural perception is different, based on experience and preference. There are so many variables.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 584 total)