harpcolumn

Handel Passacalgia

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Handel Passacalgia

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

I should maybe have said that the reason I would guess Magistretti came first is that both Magistretti and Beon have the some of the same very non-Handel variations, although the Beon ones are not so big, and it’s always seemed to me that Beon was probably trying to make the Magistretti more accessible, rather than Magistretti elaborating on Beon’s inventions.

Of course, there may have been a popular keyboard edition back then that both were copying from.

Dear Mel,
    I think it is always best to use a fingering which has a 100% success rate over one that has a 50% rate. Besides, we all have different hands, so it only makes sense that we have to design our own fingerings for tricky passages. Now, if there is an international competition in which there is a standard fingering that everyone is expected to use, that would be one circumstance in which it is worth the extra effort to use it. But if it isn’t working, I think it would still be smarter to use one that guarantees the best performance.

Dear Mel,
    I just pulled out my copy of Tiny Beon’s edition of the Passacaille, and I see Var. IX as the one I think you must be referring to. Mine does not have any fingerings printed in it, so I think that gives us carte blanche to do as we see fit. My two cents’ worth: I take the first three notes in the bass as 4, 2, 1 in my left hand, and then the next four notes in my right, then the top quarter note (crotchet?) in my left hand.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Dear Elizabeth.

zoraida-avila
    Participant

Other transcrptions by Tiny BĂ©on:
    Bach Johann Sebastian - Air de la Cantate - La Pentecote - Arrangement de BĂ©on Tiny

leonard-lim
    Participant

Can I ask which version is the more difficult one?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

They’re pretty close, I think.

Dear Mel,
    I am sorry I didn’t read post #7 carefully enough. I understand now what you mean. I have another alternate fingering for that one: Take the first four sixteenths with 4,3,2,1 in the left hand, then the next three as 4,3,2, of the right hand and then the chord also in the right hand. In the second half of the bar, I take the last three sixteenths as 3,2,1 in the right hand. That means the thumb just replaces on the same note in the next bar. This won’t suit everyone, of course, and I am always changing my mind about fingerings myself. In the third bar, I keep all the sixteenths in the left hand. I think it’s good that the student should practice it as an exercise with all the running sixteenths in the left hand, but try the other way as well for a “Plan B”.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Thank you very much Elizabeth.

unknown-user
    Participant

I think using an alternate fingering is a great idea if the student is having difficulty with the passage.

Dear Mel,
    I wouldn’t penalize on the basis of fingering but I cannot answer for my colleagues.

Tiny Beon was a petite harpists who toured with Tom Thumb’s circus for P.T. Barnum in the 1880s-1900s. Tiny played on a Lyon & Healy Style 12, often with an orchestra of “little people” playing the smallest instruments. The concertmaster had a particularly affecting way of playing that would make audiences sob, hence the expression “the worlds smallest violin” as one rubs one’s index finger over the thumb.

This one’s for you, Mel.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Saul, how did you find this out? I have searched for more information on Tiny Beon but haven’t been able to find anything. I’d like to know more about her life and career.

Maria Myers
    Participant

Catherine,

Saul is just kidding around.

Maria

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Dear Saul.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies