harpcolumn

Diagram for Pedals???

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Diagram for Pedals???

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Does anyone know where I can find a diagram on whats in between the action discs and the pedals to see how they work. Thanks -MichelleMarie

michelle-hsieh
    Participant
    mr-s

Hi Michelle are you relative of Han Hsieh?

barbara-low
    Participant

Here’s the correct link to HarpTech’s website

http://www.harptech.com/Articles/Atricles.html

and to the article that has some nice diagrams

http://www.harptech.com/Articles/BrokenRod/BrokenRod.html

I believe the Universal Method also has diagrams, albeit of an older harp. Bochsa, that is.

michelle-hsieh
    Participant

Sorry, I don’t know harpist Han Hsieh, but guess she is a Taiwanese girl?!

carl-swanson
    Participant

Here’s something that may interest you. In many older harps of all makes-almost anything built before World War II)- the rods that connect the pedals to the action cross over each other inside the column. There are different versions of the cross over, but the most common one is this:

Take a blank piece of paper and write the following letters in this same order across the top of the paper.

E D C B A G F

Now, at the bottom of the paper, write the following:

D C E B F G A

Now take a pencil and connect the letters at the bottom to the letters at the top. In other words, draw a line from the bottom D to the top D, C to C, etc. That’s what the rods do inside the column!

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Carl, why did the manufacturers do that? Was there a technical advantage?

carl-swanson
    Participant

Cathy- It has to do with where each of the chains ends at the top of the harp. In order to avoid crossovers in the chain around the second or third octave, they decided to cross the rods inside the column. I just finished rebuilding a Wurlitzer DDX(which will be up on my company web site soon if you want to see it) and the crossovers are even worse in that one. Most harps of that period had discs only up to O F. But this model had discs on OOG. So in order to do that and not have any crossovers in the chains, they reordered the rods. In that case the order looks like this: Again, write down the following letters at the top and bottom of a piece of paper and then draw a line from the letter at the bottom to the corresponding letter at the top.

F E D C B A G

D C E B F G A

Han Hsieh
    Participant

Ahhhhhhhhhh……..Why all harpists have to be girl? Han is short for Johan!

Who are you?

Han Hsieh
    Participant

Wow……Is this a friendly question or a

What a question. It is a question, pure and simple.

Han Hsieh
    Participant

Sorry, I misinterpreting it. I didn’t expect

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies