harpcolumn

looking to buy a harp…

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists looking to buy a harp…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I purchased a harp the the other day online. it was an EMS Christel harp

Ben, The Moldau is a piece demanding virtuoso technique on a pedal harp, as transcribed for harp from the orchestra version. Only by making a simple arrangement yourself of perhaps 32 bars, of the main theme, could you enjoy playing it on lever harp. If you tell us a little more about your ability on harp so far, and any budget limits, some on this forum could offer harp choosing advice. Good luck!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

There are innumerable transcriptions of the Moldau theme, including many for lever harp, but yes, I agree with Patricia that if you thinking of the Janacek transcription, you can forget it without a pedal harp and lot of study.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I meant Trnecek, not Janacek.

unknown-user
    Participant

You have already come so far with classical piano, you have a very good background, and the discipline,

Geri McQuillen
    Participant

Patricia,

Is there a date set for the AHS Conference in Tacoma in 2010?

unknown-user
    Participant
    unknown-user
    Participant

And it would be really nice if Harp Column would double check registrants’ names, Bend Over!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I’m sorry, that’s just not realistic advice for many people, Patricia. Where on earth is this person supposed to buy a pedal harp on a budget of two grand? Even renting a pedal harp is going to eat up his entire harp budget in two years or less. In that time he could be learning basic technique and there’s a heck of a lot of classical music that is playable with levers.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

I believe the 2010 conference is June 30-July 6. Check http://www.harpsociety.org for more information.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

These are a little more than your budget, but not by a lot.

http://www.dustystrings.com/building/ravenna34.shtml

http://www.harpkit.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=voyfina&Category_Code=voy&Product_Count=2

They’re somewhat smaller than the one you were looking at, but

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

And, looking at it, the Ravenna 34 actually comes with C,F and B levers standard.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I would have to say that I do think anyone whose interest is primarily classical should have full levers, but the Ravenna 34 with full levers is still less than $2000. Frankly, in this market it might be possible to pick up a much more top of the line harp for that kind of money, if you take your time and search around. The used lever harp market is even more over-saturated than the used pedal harp market right now.

Rachel
    Participant

If you’re able to sell your Christel harp, that will help too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.