looking to buy a harp…

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #161117

I purchased a harp the the other day online. it was an EMS Christel harp

patricia-jaeger on #161118

Ben, The Moldau is a piece demanding virtuoso technique on a pedal harp, as transcribed for harp from the orchestra version. Only by making a simple arrangement yourself of perhaps 32 bars, of the main theme, could you enjoy playing it on lever harp. If you tell us a little more about your ability on harp so far, and any budget limits, some on this forum could offer harp choosing advice. Good luck!

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #161119

There are innumerable transcriptions of the Moldau theme, including many for lever harp, but yes, I agree with Patricia that if you thinking of the Janacek transcription, you can forget it without a pedal harp and lot of study.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #161120

I meant Trnecek, not Janacek.

Participant
    unknown-user on #161121
    patricia-jaeger on #161122

You have already come so far with classical piano, you have a very good background, and the discipline,

Participant
    Geri McQuillen on #161123

Patricia,

Is there a date set for the AHS Conference in Tacoma in 2010?

Participant
    unknown-user on #161124
    Participant
    unknown-user on #161125

And it would be really nice if Harp Column would double check registrants’ names, Bend Over!

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #161126

I’m sorry, that’s just not realistic advice for many people, Patricia. Where on earth is this person supposed to buy a pedal harp on a budget of two grand? Even renting a pedal harp is going to eat up his entire harp budget in two years or less. In that time he could be learning basic technique and there’s a heck of a lot of classical music that is playable with levers.

Participant
    catherine-rogers on #161127

I believe the 2010 conference is June 30-July 6. Check http://www.harpsociety.org for more information.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #161128

These are a little more than your budget, but not by a lot.

http://www.dustystrings.com/building/ravenna34.shtml

http://www.harpkit.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=voyfina&Category_Code=voy&Product_Count=2

They’re somewhat smaller than the one you were looking at, but

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #161129

And, looking at it, the Ravenna 34 actually comes with C,F and B levers standard.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #161130

I would have to say that I do think anyone whose interest is primarily classical should have full levers, but the Ravenna 34 with full levers is still less than $2000. Frankly, in this market it might be possible to pick up a much more top of the line harp for that kind of money, if you take your time and search around. The used lever harp market is even more over-saturated than the used pedal harp market right now.

Participant
    Rachel on #161131

If you’re able to sell your Christel harp, that will help too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.