harpcolumn

showy harp concertos

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists showy harp concertos

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Lydia Michel
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Good question! The Introduction et Allegro of Ravel can be used as a concerto. Widor’s Chorale et Variations might be an option, Reinecke maybe, Pierne if you want something harpy, Busser wrote a concerto I know nothing about. Rodrigo’s Concierto Serenata is a big piece, but solid and classically showy, and he’s a big name, for an easier showy piece there is his Concierto de Aranjuez. The Rota Concerto is strong, and I know there are others. Dig, dig, dig, buy, buy, buy scores.

The Harry Somers is modern and somewhat showy, not too difficult. The Saint-Saens might stand up well to other instruments.

Lydia Michel
    Participant

Thanks for the input. I’ve was considering the Ravel, and had heard both the Rodrigo concertos before. I’ll look into the Rota, Widor, and Pierne– I haven’t heard these. I’ll probably stay away from the Rodrigo Aranjuez at this point because there are a couple classical guitatists in my family who are a little overtly crazy about that piece. I guess the guitar version of it is the top played guitar concerto as of

catherine-rogers
    Participant

You may wish to consider William Alwyn’s harp concerto, “Lyra Angelica.”

carl-swanson
    Participant

If you’ve got the chops for it, the Gliere is a great and very flashy concerto.

tony-morosco
    Participant

My pick would be Boieldieu’s concerto for harp and orchestra in C.

It is very accessible for listeners, even those not familiar with harp and harp repitior. It has moments of grandiousity that I think many harp concertos lack, yet when you listen you know this was written for harp and not a transcription of a keyboard piece.

It can go from being very pretty to being a bit bombastic, so it has a great dynamic range that I think pulls people in. And at times it seems to me it sounds just a hint like something Mozart might have written.

Anyway, I listen to this one all the time. Nicanor Zabaleta’s recording with the Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra. Top notch interpretation.

Lydia Michel
    Participant

Thank you, every one, for the suggestions. They were all very helpful. And I was able to find out about some great harp music I didn’t even know existed. It’s been fun to pick out my new concerto, and I’ve settled on the Ravel Intro and Allegro. That piece is beyond description beautiful, and I’m forward to learning it this year. Thanks again for the help!

Lydia

Sara Kantor
    Participant

Well the Gliere is about as flashy/showy beautiful as you get, in particular the third movement.

Many people find the Gliere to be of inferior musical quality, especially Russian musicians. I would sooner one did the Reinecke or Widor. The only truly fine performance of the Gliere I’ve heard was that of Gretchen Van Hoesen.

Lydia Michel
    Participant

I’ve heard the recording of the Gretchen Van Hoesen with the Gliere, and at first was very impressed. The way she pulls it off is absolutely stunning. However, I would agree with you about the overall quality of the piece itself.

I’ve always thought, if only it had been by Glazunov, but alas…

jordan-thomas
    Participant

OK the Gliere is a great one, but it goes on and on and on and one. You need alot of energy for that concerto. Not talking from experience, but i have heard many stories. But at the end, it’s a very wonderful flashy concerto! The Saint Saen concerto is a good one I think.

william-nichols
    Participant

Im thirteen and someone gave me that piece by ravel. Its so hard!

william-nichols
    Participant

There is a harp concerto by Parish Alvars in E flat major. It is extremely hard but its amazing, it is the living being of perfection. I have absolutely no idea were you get the music from though.

Good Luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.