harpcolumn

Handel Passacalgia

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Handel Passacalgia

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m looking to order a version of Handel’s Passacaglia online but I can’t seem to find an edition that my teacher knows. Can anyone find a edition? Or can anyone validate that the Magistretti edition on harp.com is a respectable edition?

~Sam

Misty Harrison
    Participant

The one I learned when I was a student was edited by Tiny Beon and harp.com sells it.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

The Magistretti is a big ornate version. The standard pedal harp editions today are the Tiny Beon or the one by Yolanda Kondonassis, which is in her collection. You could also play the real keyboard version, which is readily available as part of the Handel Keyboard Suite no. 7 in g minor, although harpists seem to shun it for some reason.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Incidentally, Sam, if you search for “passacaille” rather than “passacaglia” you’ll get more results.

mr-s

Hi Sam , i play the version by Alphonse Leduc Paris, i didnt play or know about Magistretti version…….

What isn’t clear in the urtext edition I have is whether the sections have repeats or not. They have doublebarlines, but no repeat symbols. However, I think the characteristic thing to do is to repeat each variation either as an echo or with (differing) ornamentation. The Tiny Beon has been the standard edition for years despite errors. I recall they were corrected somewhere, perhaps in a Journal article. I have the Magistretti and it is of interest, but I would get the original unless you are learning it for a competition.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Good thing

Han Hsieh
    Participant

Any one know which harp version was first published?

Probably the Beon. Wait a minim, can you translate that into Americanese? You’re giving me the hemi-demi-semiquavers!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

My own guess would be the Magistretti and that Beon used that as the basis for his/her version, but it’s hard to know, since there’s not much biographical info available for either of them these days.

Who was Tiny Beon?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

The only information I’ve ever been able to find is that she was Belgian. I think Jane Weidensaul once told me Beon was female, and an orchestral harpist, but I sure wouldn’t swear to those last two details.

Anybody else know anything?

paul-wren
    Participant

I have always wondered who Tiny was. I was told by my teacher that Tiny was a female. But that was it.

paul-wren
    Participant
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

FWIW, some of the chords in that version are fuller than in the urtext editions I’ve looked at.

BTW, re Beon, although the Passacaille is her only transcription that’s still available/performed, I have some very old sheet music with five or six other Beon transcriptions (Mozart and such) listed, so she must have been fairly prolific in her day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies