harpcolumn

How to play with flat palm?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp How to play with flat palm?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Emily Rose
    Participant

Over some of the notes in the left hand of

unknown-user
    Participant

No, the technique in the video is called a harmonic and is denoted by a small, unfilled circle above the note. The technique name you are looking for is an étouffez. (also spelled etouffee) The execution of this technique is only possible with the left hand. (as I have learned it) Go

carl-swanson
    Participant

Who is that idiot in the video??? She calls a harmonic an open palm technique?? And then talks about an open palm glissando as being related to a harmonic??? I’ve never seen such an idiotic confusing explanation for harp technique in my life!

What you are referring to, the little + sign over a left hand note, is a type of left hand muffling. But you need a teacher (in the room) to explain this technique and teach you to do it. Videos on the internet and written explanations here are not a way to learn to play the harp, or any other instrument for that matter.

elinor-niemisto
    Participant

I think that the + is more of a separated sound than completely staccato or etouffe.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

I also looked at that video.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

That’s a Salvi Arianna concert grand, and yes, she does appear to be rather tall.

I watched part of some of the other videos. Her delivery sounds like she’s speaking “off the cuff” rather than from a script. Among other things, she said Salvi and Lyon & Healy have been building harps for 150 years. That’s incorrect. Lyon & Healy built their first harp in 1889 and Salvi in 1954.

Many of us occasionally have posted information we thought was accurate and have recanted when we found we were wrong. It seems careless to make “instructional videos” with misinformation which can be so easily checked. Just my opinion, which is not worth much.

karen-conoan
    Participant

A flat palm glissando is new to me. Her technique gives a very muted sound and reminds me more of

A plus sign in Grandjany’s music means to play with your thumb and a flat palm to muffle the bass notes underneath it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.