catherine-rogers

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 584 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: meeting the posters of this forum #110138
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Andy, darlin’, I’d like to meet you, too! Come to Atlanta and I’ll take you to lunch! I’ve had the great pleasure of meeting Carl Swanson and Jan Jennings. I’d also love to meet Mr. Basal Sara and Tacye Phillipson. And Saul!

    Reading the various postings over the years gives an interesting peek into people’s personalities and opinions. Wouldn’t it be fascinating to read the story of each one’s background and journey with the harp? Guess that’s a subject for a separate post.

    in reply to: Spam Mail? #86204
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Trust me, this is spam; don’t reply, just delete. This is a very common con. What they want to do is send you a check for more than you charge, then ask you to refund the difference. Their check is bad but that won’t show up for weeks. Meantime your money will be gone and you will have no recourse.

    in reply to: Some Advice Please #161535
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    It may have something to do with the way the DVD was made and the age of the machine that plays it. Some older players will not read some newer DVDs properly, especially if the DVDs are duplicated on computers on writable discs as opposed to those DVDs commercially duplicated in factories. It’s an electronic thing I don’t really understand so can’t explain it well.

    in reply to: Breaking Strings #166720
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I imagine you all know this, but for anyone who doesn’t, the instrument to measure humidity is a hygrometer and can be purchased many places. Nice to have a thermometer, too, in the same room.

    in reply to: Breaking Strings #166718
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I don’t think you’d want a dehumidifier now when it’s cold and the air is likely to be drier than usual because of the heating system (unless you have steam heat). You may need a humidifier; there’s been a lot of discussion of that on another thread.

    in reply to: Favorite Christmas Harp Music #161584
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I always enjoy Ray Pool’s “Winter Wonderland” selections and Daniel Burton’s Christmas Carols (books 1-4) and Christmas Music (books 1-4). The arrangements lie well under the hand and many selections are pieces I’ve never found arranged for harp elsewhere. I use them every year and they are very well received.

    in reply to: A new requiem….heads-up! #150540
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Thanks much for the warning. Might be a good idea to buy the recording now just in case. Also, I think you meant “Crossing the Stone.”

    in reply to: Halloween Harp Stories #110519
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    In a book of ghost stories (purported to be true) based in and around Wilmington, N.C., there is one about an Italian harpist who drowned in 1863 and supposedly still haunts the hotel (now a B&B) where he performed. The story says the ghost is friendly and helpful.

    in reply to: your visit card Design,what do you write there? #146842
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I agree with Brandee. You need your name and contact information.

    Over the years I’ve simplified my card and put just the basics on it, in larger print. I do have a drawing of a pedal harp on there so there’s no mistake on what I’m offering, particularly if the person who takes the card doesn’t read English.

    in reply to: Carbon fiber harp #160291
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Camac harps have some components of carbon fiber and some wood components reinforced with carbon fiber.

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102818
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I don’t know about “noble” but I think anyone who has his health and isn’t in prison is rich.

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102816
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Ye gods! (Zenetta Shinn, the Mayor’s daughter–The Music Man)

    in reply to: Best Way to Move my harp cross crounty #148120
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    No, no! Never leave your harp in a hot car for ANY length of time and certainly not an hour! Remember, if you’re comfortable, your harp will be comfortable. If it’s too hot for you, it’s too hot for your harp. That goes for pets, too. Find a place in the shade to park if you must, even if it means paying to park in a hotel garage, etc. And lock the car!

    in reply to: Help! I’m really trying to learn! #162814
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    What Carl wrote is so true and probably the best way I’ve ever heard (read) it expressed. When people ask me, “How long did it take you to learn to play the harp?”, I reply, “I’ve been playing 30-something years and I’m still learning. And I hope I always shall!”

    There’s more music in the world than one could learn in a lifetime (and new works are constantly becoming available), and the learning is as much fun as (if not more than) the performance.

    in reply to: Who was the harpist in Ricky Ricardo’s orchestra? #104735
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I have that issue and just read it. It doesn’t say how old she was when she died. She studied with Salzedo in Philadelphia and taught at LSU. She and her husband moved to California but she returned to Lafayette, La., following her husband’s death (again, it doesn’t say what year). She was a charter member of the Louisiana Chapter of the AHS and was president when she died. She was survived in 1977 by a son, a daughter and five grandchildren. There were no specifics listed of her work while in California.

    Her husband, Jack Pickering, was a trombonist, arranger and conductor. If he ever played with Ricky Ricardo’s orchestra, perhaps Maryce did, too.

    You could try contacting the Louisiana chapter to see if any long-time member might remember details about her career and could tell you more.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 584 total)