Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: “Harpers do it…” #160652

    Harpists do it on the tips.

    in reply to: How do you know if you should quit? #160513

    DO NOT QUIT. If you really really love playing the harp you won’t be able to quit. I sure wouldn’t anyway. Sometimes you get into a spot where you feel very frustrated. Believe me, I know. I just moved into a couple of advanced pieces. I’m not young, and I started at age 55. I’m not doing this for a concert career obviously…..but I demand a lot of myself. Those pieces are really really hard. I keep chipping away at them, and sometimes I feel like I’m getting nowhere, but I am. I can tell I am when I give it an honest assessment. The main thing I’m finding out is not to get in my own way…..Let whatever happens happen and just do what I know is the right thing to do. In other words, I practice to practice and I try not to have expectations. I do love to practice. So I’m concentrating on just the joy of sitting at the harp and practicing. If I keep doing that, when I play, it will obviously get better…..but I’m not anticipating that.

    As far as sightreading, who cares really? Do you have to sightread a lot? I don’t on harp. I do for my job on the piano, but I’ve been doing that since I was a little kid of 6 years of age, so it’s easy now. And that’s one hell of a long time of doing it too….51 years. I CAN sightread okay on the harp, but I just don’t find that it’s necessary really because I also found that I need to practice each thing I play — no matter how easy to get it right.

    I do think theory is important….especially when playing harp pieces. To know what key you are in can make a world of difference in your phrasing, playing, musical expression, but theory is something you can learn…..anyone with a working brain can if they work hard enough. But I wouldn’t stress over it. I would keep working if I were you. I’ve never been one to run away from a challenge. I would hate that. KEEP GOING.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Harp Benches #75809

    Oh well…forget that link. It says ‘0 available.’

    in reply to: Harp Benches #75808

    I have two Adjustrite chairs….and I LOVE that chair. I’m sorry to see it’s on it’s way out. It really is comfortable and so adjustable. I did find one spot to buy one:

    in reply to: Do you give gifts to your harp students? #85909

    My teacher gives us really thoughtful little gifts at Christmas……containers of high-end hand creams (which I treasure because I have really dry hands from washing them all the time), a couple of nice Godiva chocolates, and maybe a “Hello Kitty” pencil or something cute like that…..always packaged beautifully, and you feel like “Gee, she was thinking of me!!” kind of gift….the best kind.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: How do you do it? #109834

    Vince, I totally understand the gentleman thing, and believe me, I TRULY and WHOLLY appreciate it. It’s always such a nice gesture when guys offer to help. I just meant that I need to do the moving part myself because I worry about someone not knowing what to do correctly. So I usually just say nicely, “Thank you so much for your offer to help me. Can you please grab the doors?”

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Harpsicle #161041

    Samantha, I got my Eve on Ebay for $325. I paid $200 for installation of full Loveland levers. It’s waaaaaay nicer sounding and feeling than a Harpsicle, and it fits in an airline overhead. You can watch for them to appear on Ebay. They do….and mine is like brand new.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: How do you do it? #109830

    I don’t think it makes any difference how big you are. I think it has a lot to do with how in shape you are. If you are tiny, but keep your muscles in shape, it won’t be a problem. If you are tall, but fat and mushy, it will be, and vice versa. I go to a gym regularly to keep myself strong. I’m not young. I need to do this both to keep my joints flexible — and the muscles around them strong — and to keep my lifting, pushing, pulling muscles strong, as well as my core muscles. With a dolly, and ramps for any steps if you have them, and a car with a nice low loading platform, it’s just not hard at all. You just have to be very careful, move slowly and carefully, and let the harp down easily, using it’s weight to go down, and your strength to keep it from going down faster than it should. I find loading my big concert grand pretty easy these days, although I admit the first time I did it was heart-stopping.

    I would never consider help in loading or unloading my harp. It’s my job….my gig….my responsibility. If my husband wanted to move harps, he would’ve studied harp instead of keyboard. Also there are just times when we are both off on different gigs, and I need to do this myself. One of the worst problems is when I arrive at a gig and all the guys want to help. I usually just ask them to get the doors for me if they can. I don’t want anyone to help me move my harp when they have no idea what they are doing….grabbing for….pulling on. I really do need to get a really good thick wedge of wood for a doorstop though for those times when there are no people around to hold doors.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Harpsicle #161029

    Jennifer is right. The strings on the harpsicle are “floppy” in the extreme when you are used to pedal tension…..or even strong tension on a lever harp. I couldn’t do it. The sound is nice, but it would drive me insane. I have an Eve with Lovelands on all 22 strings, but even that tension is pretty light….but nothing as light as a harpsicle. I have played Timothy harps, and omg…..they are WONDERFUL. I did not play the lap harps because none were available to play, but I played his floor harps and they truly are amazingly beautiful instruments with nice strong tension. I think the Niamh has 26 strings, but I could be mistaken. I have heard people rave about it though. I’d definitely try to check that out. Timothy is very approachable and I’m sure will be happy to talk with you.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145280

    For me, the perfect harp car is the Honda Element. I just bought an ’07 still under warranty, and the harp fits both with the seats flipped up to the sides and with the seats flat. Not only does it hold the harp and all its accoutrements, but it also is a wonderful car to drive…..and you really can sleep in it if you need to (and if it’s not too cold outside. 🙂

    Briggsie

    in reply to: I’m EXPECTING!!!! #161058

    Congratulations, Pat. You will be very very happy with your new Webster. I absolutely LOVE mine, but you knew that, and you heard it, and yes Kerstin Allvin has a McFall — she was with me when I bought the Cecelia at the AHS last year and loved his harps, and I think she would put just about every harpist I have heard to shame…she has such a beautiful technique and plays so musically….which is why I study with her — and she also happens to be a wonderful teacher.

    Back to your Webster…..what levers did you choose to have on yours? I hope I will get to see your McFall when you finally get it home and get a chance to get used to it.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Who is John Doe, vote now! #109989

    Maria, I didn’t mean anything against what you said. I am agreeing with you. It seems so “middle-schoolish” to play the “I know who it is, but I’m not saying” games.

    Briggs

    in reply to: Who is John Doe, vote now! #109987

    I don’t know Maria, but I teach middle school, and I feel like I’m in the classroom when this stuff starts up.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Say a prayer! #110020

    YES, Leigh….totally agree, and too bad so many so-called politicians are getting in the way of the progress….

    Kay:

    in reply to: If money was no object I would buy…. #102362

    Exactly Tacye. It was exactly bemusement. I care not what anyone decides is the harp of his/her dreams. I just found it silly that anyone would say ALL harps are ridiculously baroque. I put that particular harp pic on because it is one of the barest, sleekest harps which came to mind….about as far from “baroque” as one could get in design I guess except perhaps the Salzedo. Seems like this person is itching for some strife…..not gonna get any from me. Like what you want, but I’m pointing out that your statement “all but one” are ridiculously baroque is a bit off the mark.

    Briggs

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 717 total)