harpcolumn

How do you do it?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break How do you do it?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

OK – let’s say I sell this boat.

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

Hi Kay,

I’m 4’10” and I weigh 108 pounds., and here’s how I do it.

I don’t think it makes any difference how big you are. I think it has a lot to do with how in shape you are. If you are tiny, but keep your muscles in shape, it won’t be a problem. If you are tall, but fat and mushy, it will be, and vice versa. I go to a gym regularly to keep myself strong. I’m not young. I need to do this both to keep my joints flexible — and the muscles around them strong — and to keep my lifting, pushing, pulling muscles strong, as well as my core muscles. With a dolly, and ramps for any steps if you have them, and a car with a nice low loading platform, it’s just not hard at all. You just have to be very careful, move slowly and carefully, and let the harp down easily, using it’s weight to go down, and your strength to keep it from going down faster than it should. I find loading my big concert grand pretty easy these days, although I admit the first time I did it was heart-stopping.

I would never consider help in loading or unloading my harp. It’s my job….my gig….my responsibility. If my husband wanted to move harps, he would’ve studied harp instead of keyboard. Also there are just times when we are both off on different gigs, and I need to do this myself. One of the worst problems is when I arrive at a gig and all the guys want to help. I usually just ask them to get the doors for me if they can. I don’t want anyone to help me move my harp when they have no idea what they are doing….grabbing for….pulling on. I really do need to get a really good thick wedge of wood for a doorstop though for those times when there are no people around to hold doors.

Briggsie

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

Very well said!

vince-pierce
    Participant

If it makes you feel any better, I’m a guy – but I’m 5’4″ and 105 lbs.

vince-pierce
    Participant

Yes, people always try to help! I just ask them to get my gig bag or bench or the doors. I carry a wedge doorstep in my bag. It doesn’t work on all doors, but my bag or my bench usually do a good job of holding a door. That shows how heavy my gig bag is…

Being a guy, I always try to help the other girls in my harp studio, but when I move a harp I don’t like to have help, now that I know how to do it correctly and I have my own harpmobile. That’s just the way my parents raised me, I guess 🙂

Vince

Vince, I totally understand the gentleman thing, and believe me, I TRULY and WHOLLY appreciate it. It’s always such a nice gesture when guys offer to help. I just meant that I need to do the moving part myself because I worry about someone not knowing what to do correctly. So I usually just say nicely, “Thank you so much for your offer to help me. Can you please grab the doors?”

Briggsie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.