harpcolumn

Harpsicle

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Harpsicle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi,
    I play a pedal harp, but want a lap harp for when I travel, just to keep my fingers in shape. I’ve never played a lap harp, although i did begin on a prelude, so I’m used to levers. I’ve been looking into purchasing a Harpsicle, but I was wondering which model i should purchase (Sharpsicle, Fullsicle, etc.) Is it really worth the couple hundred dollars to have the extra levers? Also, if anyone has any suggestions for another type/brand of lap harp feel free to recommend.
    Thanks!

Harpsicles are nice but the string tension is low so not a great way of keeping the fingers in shape.

Jennifer is right. The strings on the harpsicle are “floppy” in the extreme when you are used to pedal tension…..or even strong tension on a lever harp. I couldn’t do it. The sound is nice, but it would drive me insane. I have an Eve with Lovelands on all 22 strings, but even that tension is pretty light….but nothing as light as a harpsicle. I have played Timothy harps, and omg…..they are WONDERFUL. I did not play the lap harps because none were available to play, but I played his floor harps and they truly are amazingly beautiful instruments with nice strong tension. I think the Niamh has 26 strings, but I could be mistaken. I have heard people rave about it though. I’d definitely try to check that out. Timothy is very approachable and I’m sure will be happy to talk with you.

Briggsie

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks!
    I appreciate your help

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks! I will look into the Niamh harps. Thanks for your suggestion!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I have to add as well that, while I like my Harpsicle, and I do use it for traveling (the tension may be too light to keep the fingers “in shape,” as it were, but it does keep the tunes under my fingers), I would consider putting the extra money into levers a bit of a waste.

Rachel
    Participant

I think I saw a Timothy Aedh lap harp (24 strings) used with full levers on the Virginia Harp Center website not too long ago.

The Aedh has a great sound but has a really wide soundbox.

Pat Eisenberger
    Participant

Take a look a William Webster harps. He has a smaller harp with high tension.

http://home.comcast.net/~websterstrings/neo_irish.html

andy-b
    Participant

Blevins usually has an assortment of lap harps available. A friend of mine recently got one and is very pleased with it so far. I understand that Cindy will also play any of the harps for you to hear. I believe their website is blevinsharps.com .

Andy

jennifer-byrne
    Participant

I will put in my vote for the Timothy Aedh as well.

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

Hi Samatha,

Since you are playing the pedal harp, I imagine that your are looking for a quality instrument in a lap harp as well. I suggest that you check out Christina Tourin’s website http://www.emeraldharp.com/Harps.html, which lists a bunch of lap harps, many of which she endorses for the International Harp Therapy program.

Christina was very helpful when I purchased my lap harp over a year ago now. I was looking for a lightweight, portable quality instrument with a great voice and I personally found it in the “Nightingale” Harp by Lewis Creek Instruments (http://lewiscreek.net/lc_nightingale.htm). It is a wonderful harp, superb craftsmanship and the only lap harp I know with 27 strings. In following Christina’s recommendations, I highly recommend the Truitt levers, as they are light weight and will not

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

Hi Samantha,

I mostly play a pedal harp at home, but I also have an Aoyama lever harp, and for my summer travels aboard a small boat, I play a Blevins Lyra 22, with full sharping levers.

unknown-user
    Participant

I appreciate everyone’s comments, but………my parents are not looking to spend 2 grand on a lap harp for me. Haha I not only have a pedal harp, but my parents are renting me a pedal harp for my school, where I play in the orchestra and pit. In addition to my two harps, lessons and the various other harp costs (that I’m sure you are well aware of) are just some of some of the reasons as to whymy parents won’t cave. That’s why I originally inquired about the harpsicle. Any cheaper suggestions? Thanks again for everyone’s help

Samantha, I got my Eve on Ebay for $325. I paid $200 for installation of full Loveland levers. It’s waaaaaay nicer sounding and feeling than a Harpsicle, and it fits in an airline overhead. You can watch for them to appear on Ebay. They do….and mine is like brand new.

Briggsie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.