harpcolumn

How do you know if you should quit?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists How do you know if you should quit?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Gillian Bradford
    Participant

I’ve had my harp for 4 years and so far have made so little progress on it that I wonder if I should give up altogether. I have been having regular lessons but then I just find myself getting so tense and stressed about the whole instrument now. I am so frustrated that just sitting behind it is enough to make me feel irritated.

I love the instrument but I love it the most when I don’t touch it at all and just admire it from afar. I can happily leave it adorning the corner of my room for the rest of my life. I can’t find any reason or passion to play it, even though I still have a desire to be able to play it.

I’ve always wanted to play a musical instrument and this one is the only one I love. But it’s so disappointing to me that I find reading music so difficult, even after all this practice I still can’t sight read. I find any musical theory just mind boggling and can’t tell the difference if I’m playing a C or E chord. I wonder if I have any musical aptitude at all. I’m just about to pack it in, although I could never bring myself to ever part with my harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

Some people never sight read well.

kay-lister

Gillian,

Life is to full of “have tos”!

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Gillian,

I agree with Kay. Take a break and try reading Dr. Carrols Power Performance. You may find that a different approach is what you need, but taking a break is vital (I think ) when you need a new attiude.

Sid

andy-b
    Participant

Hi, Gillian:

I’ve been right where you are. Every time I sat behind the harp, I was frustrated, and didn’t want to play. I sold my harp and didn’t play for three years. While my reasons for getting frustrated are different from yours, you still don’t want to associate those feelings of frustration with your harp. In the two years since I’ve been playing again, I’ve experienced a renewed passion for playing. I really needed the time away to rid myself of the negative thought patterns I was developing. I’m sure you won’t need that much time away, and don’t get rid of your harp! But a little break will probably be a big help.

Andy

unknown-user
    Participant

If it’s that frustrating, you might want to take a vacation from it.

tony-morosco
    Participant

By all means take a break if you are feeling too frustrated. But remember that typically our frustration is due to our own expectations from ourselves. Perhaps altering your expectations of where you think you should be and what you want to get out of it would change your level of frustration at your progress.

dawn-penland
    Participant

My aunt was a gifted harpist and gave it up in college because she hated her teacher.

unknown-user
    Participant

I think you should quit and sell your harp to me at a low low price.

Maria Myers
    Participant

Jonathan,

Even if you are joking, this comment is crass.

unknown-user
    Participant

Actually I thought it was funny, because I knew he must be joking.

unknown-user
    Participant

you know, I went through the same thing with piano.8 Years

harp guy
    Participant

I agree with most of the comments so far.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I just have to add regarding sight reading…don’t beat yourself up over that at all!

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Sight reading is the hardest part of music to learn and also the hardest to teach. See if you can find someone who uses the Kodaly method.

Even though it’s designed for children, a teacher trained in the method

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.