harpcolumn

If money was no object I would buy….

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break If money was no object I would buy….

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    Harp One
    Participant

Harp Mover for only me and a Special Car(Remote controlled and Automatic)

paul-knoke
    Participant

A Beat Wolf crochet action harp with the hand painted soundboard. And the lovely early Louvet with the pierced scroll at Thurau’s. And Howard Bryan’s spiral-column Erard. I might need a Naderman, too, if one turns up……

Leigh,

The levers were installed by Bill Webster, who lives and works just a mere 12 or so miles south of me. It’s very handy….he’s good, fast and not expensive. 🙂 The Eve has become a useable harp now. I am happy.

Briggsie

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

A nice new harp for Mr S., so that he can have a 2nd harp.

Chris Asmann
    Participant

What Paul said!!!!!

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

Salvi Scolpita

http://www.harpconnection.com/store/harp.php?do=print&print=Salvi-Scolpita-8×10-300dpi.jpg&title=Salvi+Scolpita

It’s the only full size harp that doesn’t look just ridiculously baroque (sorry, don’t care for all that gilding and greek columns and whatnot that most pedal harps are burdened with)

The only one? This is ridiculously baroque?

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

No, I don’t like it. It’s rather less ornate than most harps (looks like some model of Salvi, and Salvi tends to be less ornate than other harps, I’m not up on all the models of pedal harps these days since they are ALL priced out of my range), but I still would not prefer that style. Its clunky looking. There’s no grace there. Not to my eye, anyway. If I were in the market for a pedal harp, and that was my only choice, I’d probably end up with one, but I would never truly like the way it looks. Fortunately it’s NOT my only choice. Unfortunately it doesn’t matter what choices I have since I can’t AFFORD a pedal harp.

I like the Salvi Scolpi, I don’t like other styles of pedal harps. Some are “less bad” to my way of seeing things than others, but the only one I TRULY like is the Salvi Scolpi.

I thought this was a thread for us to post what WE liked, not to criticize other people’s choices. Given the fact that most harps are of the baroque/ornate variety, it’s clear to me that my tastes are not among the mainstream harp buyer’s. If you LIKE gilding and big columns and all the stuff that generally goes on a pedal harp, that’s fine – for YOU. Expecting me to SHARE that taste is not fine.

And btw, for anybody who has the above harp – I’m not calling it ugly or saying that you have no taste. It’s just not *MY* taste.

Apparently it bothers you that my taste differs from yours. You were REAL quick on the draw.

Interesting.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

Scolpita. Don’t know why I did the double typo, but I did, and I can’t find an “edit” option.

brook-boddie
    Participant

Zen,

I played a Salvi Scolpita at Lyon and Healy West in Salt Lake City a few years ago, and it was, without a doubt, one of the finest sounding pedal harps I have ever played.

Tacye
    Participant

I don’t think Briggsie was bothered that you didn’t share her taste-
    just bemusement (which I share) at your choice of the term ridiculously baroque for every other choice on the market!

Exactly Tacye. It was exactly bemusement. I care not what anyone decides is the harp of his/her dreams. I just found it silly that anyone would say ALL harps are ridiculously baroque. I put that particular harp pic on because it is one of the barest, sleekest harps which came to mind….about as far from “baroque” as one could get in design I guess except perhaps the Salzedo. Seems like this person is itching for some strife…..not gonna get any from me. Like what you want, but I’m pointing out that your statement “all but one” are ridiculously baroque is a bit off the mark.

Briggs

Tacye
    Participant

A baroque harp…

harp guy
    Participant

If money was no object, I would have a collection….

A Venus Premier in natural

A Lyon & Healy Style 11 Gold

My current L&H Prelude

A Blevins Espre with staved back

Thormahlen Swan in curly maple

Musicmaker’s Regency

That way I have all of my bases covered. I would have a pedal harp for gigging, a pedal harp that would suit the picky wedding clients who want gold, a lever harp to fool the uneducated/not picky wedding clients, two lever harps for celtic/folk gigs and a kit to tinker around with. 🙂

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>a lever harp to fool the uneducated/not picky wedding clients

hmmmmm

No comment

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies