harpcolumn

Harp availability dilemma, and L&H Ogden advice

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Harp availability dilemma, and L&H Ogden advice

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Alison
    Participant

with 45 or so strings I immediately thought that the size of the Ogden, which I saw today. is an excellent starter harp for an adult beginner, with modern styling. I didn’t try it though, except with one finger facing the wrong way, perhaps as you say the tension is for an experienced player.

I would say that the tension is about medium. It’s tighter than a Triplett (at least the ones I’ve tried) but not as tight as the Ogden (Which is tight even for someone wanting a concert tension harp IMHO). It’s not much of an adjustment to play my harp partner’s Troubador though her L & H Folk Harp is pretty tight. Private message me and we can certainly meet for you to try my harp out.

Jodi Ann Tolman
    Participant

Thank you for all this information! Everyone here is so kind and helpful! What a wonderful community and resource! I’ve been reading through old posts regarding the Thormhalen Serenade and I’m definitely leaning towards it right now. The other one I’m considering is the Triplett Sierra, but I honestly like the look of the Serenade much better and the sound clips I’ve heard online are beautiful! Just from hearing samples online, I think I much prefer the Serenade to the DS Crescendo. Maybe it’s just me, but it sounds like the bass notes of the DS seem to sustain too long almost.

Jennifer, thank you so much for your offer! You are so kind! That would be very helpful especially since one concern I have is the Serenade’s flat back. I’ll message you soon. Thank you!

jane

You’ve probably got plenty of information here, but for what it’s worth, I really like the full sound of the Ogden. (My teacher bought two for her studio, so I play it for lessons.) It’s not at all hard on the hands; the slightly thicker strings and slightly wider spacing make it in some ways more comfortable to play. For its price range, it’s a wonderful instrument, and you can get a used one on L&H CPO. I would’ve bought one except that I needed something taller. (I’m 5’10”)

I finally found the harp-of-my-dreams, a L&H Lyric, in Boston–and I’m in California. I was nervous about buying something without playing it first, but I Skyped the store and they played it for me–not ideal conditions, but good enough to make a decision.

L&H has fantastic customer service, and they’ve been around forever, so you can easily get strings and parts and information.

I hope you find your perfect harp!

Cheers,
    Jane

Jodi Ann Tolman
    Participant

Thanks, Jane. I’m fairly tall too (5’8″) so I’m concerned about how some of these smaller harps would fit me. I’m renting a troubadour right now and I like its size but I feel like it’s very hard on my fingers, although I’ve only been playin for a couple weeks. I’m very interested in the Thormahlens, the Serenade in particular, but I assume I’d need to order the taller feet on it to fit me better. I like that it is only 20 lbs! And I think its tone and looks are beautiful. I just don’t want to feel like I’m hunching over to play. It’s going to be hard to make a final decision. I appreciate everyone’s input.

jsmoir
    Participant

“I would’ve bought one except that I needed something taller. (I’m 5’10”).” – Jane

I know this is an old thread, but as I am now looking for a lever harp for song accompanying (I am a singer first, harper next) this discussion (especially about the Thormahlen Serenade) is where I am at, these days.

Jodi’s last comment (did you ever decide on a harp, Jodi?) “I’m very interested in the Thormahlens, the Serenade in particular, but I assume I’d need to order the taller feet on it to fit me better. I like that it is only 20 lbs! And I think its tone and looks are beautiful. I just don’t want to feel like I’m hunching over to play.”
    – is of concern to me.

I am going to sell my Troubadour (because I have a new/used pedal harp, which I love— but cannot sing and play that for Folk/Celtic gigs!) and am looking for something lever-harp wise, akin to that size/sound envelope, and ‘concert tension’ does not bother me.

As I am 6’3″ with 35″ inseams on my arms (yes, not quite a gorilla…) I want a harp I can get some sound out of. I’ve tried the DS Boulevard, and it’s ‘ok’ but not quite there…. I’ve heard the Rees Aberdeen Meadows, and it’s rather nice. I’ve only played someone else’s Thorm at the BITM conference, but the sound on a lot of videos convinces me this is ‘the’ choice. I’ve talked with Sharon @ TH, and we agreed that the ‘tall legs’ would be best. But as the Serenade does not permit Concert Gut, should I go with Nylon or this ubiquitous ‘Folk Gut’? I really, REALLY hate nylon ‘wound’ strings in the 2nd octave below middle C- it’s like playing loose rubber bands, and so, think the ‘Folk Gut’ would be the way to go…either that, or get a Cygnet, and bite the bullet..

Advice? Suggestions? Thanks, John

Jodi Ann Tolman
    Participant

Hi John,

Yes! I did purchase a Thormahlen Serenade more than 4 years ago now. I absolutely love it and couldn’t be happier! Its tension is definitely lighter than concert gut, but that’s been good for me. The Serenade’s sound is so warm and beautiful and much richer than other nylon-strung harps. And the dynamic range on it is huge! I can easily play very loudly without much effort and the harp just projects so well. I do have the taller feet on it which has been helpful. If you’d like to hear how it sounds, you can visit my YouTube channel. My videos might also give you an idea of how the harp “fits” me since I’m 5’8″. https://www.youtube.com/jodianntolman

I can’t comment on the folk gut strings. I don’t have experience with them.

Good luck with your decision.
    Jodi

brook-boddie
    Participant

Hi John,
    I have a Serenade strung in folk gut. It has a deep, warm, beautiful sound that I think would be perfect for accompanying. I have never heard a bad Thormahlen. I’m tall also–6’4″–and Dave can make you some tall legs that will help elevate the harp. I have them on mine, and they raise the harp to the perfect height for playing while sitting in a regular chair or bench.

My Serenade holds its tune very well. If the weather is stable, it will hold tuning for days or even weeks. It’s very light and easy to carry. If I’m taking it somewhere in town where I don’t have to park a long way from the entrance, I usually just put it in the back of my SUV on some mats without the case (the case adds a good bit of weight). The harp is light enough to carry in one hand. Granted, I am a tall male with long arms. I’ve never had a maintenance issue with the harp, and it has only broken one string since I’ve had it.

I think you will be very happy if you choose a Serenade. Mine is ebony, and it’s a striking finish with the Camac levers. Keep us posted!

Brook

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies