harpcolumn

Which shoulder?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Which shoulder?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Alison
    Participant

Was suddenly reminded of Harpo’s tricks in the Big Store – unrivalled surely !!
    I love it.
    http://youtube/bPAQYfYmW1A

Sherri Matthew
    Participant

What a great idea! I’ll have to get some mirrors. A quick and easy way to start a harp orchestra!! LOL Thanx for posting! 🙂

barbara-brundage
    Participant

FWIW, there have been several well-known pedal harpists, like Tournier, who were left-handed, but they played right shoulder. He got his revenge by writing demanding left hand parts in most of his compositions. 🙂

Among left-handed musicians, I remember that the great Ukranian cellist Gregor Piatigorsky (1903-1976) was left-handed. He was considered the greatest cello virtuoso of the world, and had remarkable skill with playing either of his two Stradivarius instruments. His long left hand fingers were wonderfully adept on the strings, and his right hand with the bow mastered difficult techniques such as downbow spiccato to the amazement of those in the audiences that flocked to his concerts in the U.S. I was fortunate to hear him in Philadelphia in my youth.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Watch closely the Harpo Marx mirror scene in the post above. Harpo (or his double) has the harp on the left shoulder. It doesn’t always mirror. What a fun clip. Thanks for sharing it.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.