column

How to go about renting a harp for an event in Cheshire, England?

Home Forums Harps and Accessories How to go about renting a harp for an event in Cheshire, England?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Hello!
    My friend is getting married on the 31st of October at Hollin Hall in Cheshire in the north of England, and I have been asked to play the harp at her wedding. The problem is that we live in Norway, and I really do not want to bring any of my harps with me because I don’t have a flight case for either of them, and they are both too big to buy an extra seat for it. So I was thinking maybe I could rent one instead? But I have no idea how to go about renting a harp in another country or who to ask. Can anyone here please help point me in the right direction?

Tacye
    Participant

What sort of harp?

emma-graham
    Participant

There are various harp shops in the UK who might rent but I’m not sure if any would do a short term rental. Google Morley Harps, Pilgrim harps and Telynau Teifi. First off I would contact the venue. They may well have harpists who play there regularly and who may be willing to lend/rent you a harp for the day. There are also a few harps available to rent on a short term basis here: http://www.affairsoftheharp.com/forsale.asp

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Thank you, Emma! I’ll ask the bride to contact the venue and ask about that, that was a great idea! I’ll also check out that link you gave me.

Tacye, I’m looking for a large lever harp or a pedal harp with a nice warm, clear tone. I would prefer a lever harp because that’s the string tension I’m used to, but adjusting to pedal harp tension shouldn’t be too hard for me even though it’s been a couple of years since I last played one.

Alison
    Participant

you could seek out a teacher or amateur player willing to lend you a lever harp for the afternoon, unfortunately I am in the South. The nearest shop is probably the Early Music Shop in Bradford, perhaps your host could investigate.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.